After uninstalling IE9 on my Windows 7 x64 system I cannot create desktop shortcuts

M

micKeith

I have a machine which uses the Windows 7 (x64) operating system which came with IE8 installed on it. I made the decision to upgrade my browser to IE9. Afterwards I found that some of my applications were not compatible with IE9 so I uninstalled it. IE8 is now back on my system but all of my internet shortcuts on my desktop are no longer associated with the URLs they were created with or the icon. They appear as text icons. I also cannot create new internet shortcuts from my desktop as after giving the shortcut a URL and a name I get an Explorer.EXE message that states "Unable to create shortcut". However, when OK is clicked and attempt is made a second time to create the shortcut it says that the shortcut already exists and there is in fact a new text icon on the desktop with the name given to the shortcut. However, no URL or icon is associated with it and when clicked or activated it opens a printer selection dialog. I've checked the following file type extesions to make sure they are associated with Internet Explorer: .url, .htm, .html and they are so I am not sure what else to try. I have tried to use several restore points but they all fail. Any more ideas?

Continue reading...

Back