Auto Company Bailouts

ImWithStupid

Auto Workers Union Rules Out Concessions To Help Detroit Bailout

Huffington Post | Nicholas Graham | November 16, 2008 11:17 PM

With the House of Representatives pledging an aid package for the auto industry, the United Auto Workers (UWA) union fanned the flames a bit by refusing to grant any concessions in a bailout of the big 3 Detroit automakers. UAW president Ron Gettelfinger adamantly stated that the auto industry's woes could be laid at the feet of the stumbling U.S. economy overall:
The US United Auto Workers (UAW) union has ruled out concessions - at least for the time being - to help rescue the ailing Detroit-based car industry.

Ron Gettelfinger, the union president, said at the weekend that "the focus has to be on the economy as a whole as opposed to a UAW contract"...

..."We're here not because of what the auto industry has done", Mr Gettelfinger said during a rare press conference. "We're here because of what has happened to the economy." The union represents blue-collar workers at assembly plants, as well as several parts suppliers.

High labour costs are seen by many outside the UAW as part of the reason for the carmakers' distress. UAW members' generous pay and benefits have gained them a reputation as the aristocracy of the US labour movement. Much of GM's debt was taken on in the early part of the decade to finance its blue-collar pension plan.

I hope someone can answer this question for me. If the UAW and their members aren't willing to make sacrifices to save their own jobs, why should the rest of the country do it?

Let them go into chapter 11 and then they will have to resote to concessions. It dosn't matter how we got into this mess. It only matters how we're gonna get out of it.

ImWithStupid said:

I hope someone can answer this question for me. If the UAW and their members aren't willing to make sacrifices to save their own jobs, why should the rest of the country do it?

There needs to be some serious looks into this BEFORE anyone promises them money. The UAW has done wonders over the last 20+ years to bring down the profitability of the auto companies, and if they are allowed to continue any money tossed their way will be a complete and total waste.

The Dems sound like they are set on doing it though...

eddo said:
There needs to be some serious looks into this BEFORE anyone promises them money. The UAW has done wonders over the last 20+ years to bring down the profitability of the auto companies, and if they are allowed to continue any money tossed their way will be a complete and total waste.

The Dems sound like they are set on doing it though...

And as usual they aren?t giving us any details on their plans.

I think I?m getting ulsers.

Part of the reason why I think the Union deal HAS to be realigned if the auto companies are going to survive:

Jobs bank programs -- 12,000 paid not to work - 10/17/05

Ken Pool is making good money. On weekdays, he shows up at 7 a.m. at Ford Motor Co.'s Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, signs in, and then starts working -- on a crossword puzzle. Pool hates the monotony, but the pay is good: more than $31 an hour, plus benefits.

"We just go in and play crossword puzzles, watch videos that someone brings in or read the newspaper," he says. "Otherwise, I've just sat."

Pool is one of more than 12,000 American autoworkers who, instead of installing windshields or bending sheet metal, spend their days counting the hours in a jobs bank set up by Detroit automakers and Delphi Corp. as part of an extraordinary job security agreement with the United Auto Workers union.

snafu said:
And as usual they aren?t giving us any details on their plans.

I think I?m getting ulsers.

I got a massive fukking headache..

Countries going to hell in a bucket.. which, by the way, is better than going anywhere in a GM vehicle..

Part of the reason why I think the Union deal HAS to be realigned if the auto companies are going to survive:

Jobs bank programs -- 12,000 paid not to work - 10/17/05

Ken Pool is making good money. On weekdays, he shows up at 7 a.m. at Ford Motor Co.'s Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, signs in, and then starts working -- on a crossword puzzle. Pool hates the monotony, but the pay is good: more than $31 an hour, plus benefits.

"We just go in and play crossword puzzles, watch videos that someone brings in or read the newspaper," he says. "Otherwise, I've just sat."

Pool is one of more than 12,000 American autoworkers who, instead of installing windshields or bending sheet metal, spend their days counting the hours in a jobs bank set up by Detroit automakers and Delphi Corp. as part of an extraordinary job security agreement with the United Auto Workers union.

Sh!t, I found my calling :D

The Unions have never been willing to make the same level of sacrifices as the rest of America. Everyone in America is cutting back, everyone is haivng to do more with less income with the exception of these fat cat Union members who all believe they are too special and "Elite" to make these sacrifices.

That is why they ordered Obama to give them their immunity to the new health insurance taxes and that is why even this refusal to be reasonable by the Unions will be forgotten by the Democrats. The Democrats must toe the line drawn by the Unions or forever dissapear.

Back