Belgian Bomber aims to overpower Pinehurst

S

Sports News

By Mark Lamport-Stokes PINEHURST North Carolina (Reuters) - Homesick for the European lifestyle, Belgium's Nicolas Colsaerts has mainly struggled on the PGA Tour this season but hopes that his love of the U.S. Open can help reignite his game this week at Pinehurst. The 31-year-old, who is nicknamed the 'Belgian Bomber' because of his prodigious length off the tee, has recorded only one top-25 in 11 starts on the 2013-14 PGA Tour, yet feels his style of play is ideally suited to Pinehurst's No. 2 Course. "Pinehurst sets up pretty good for my game because if I drive the ball well, I can send it a long way down these dry fairways and obviously that will give me a shorter club in," Colsaerts told Reuters on Wednesday. And in that case, even if you have a so-so drive, you can probably hack it pretty close to the green anyway." Colsaerts, a double winner on the European Tour who decided to try his hand at competing regularly on the U.S. circuit last year, ended his final practice round on Wednesday by blasting a drive off the 18th tee that flew 314 yards down the fairway.

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 35d55d66558c6ac4044fe5c1bfeda84b.jpg
    35d55d66558c6ac4044fe5c1bfeda84b.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 7
Back