Cannot install Windows XP because of black screen at start of text-mode setup

A

apterpstra

I have 10 years of experience installing Windows, but lately I have been plagued by the following problem. On some computers that have been installed before (it doesn't happen on clean systems) I want to reinstall Windows XP. These computers almost all are multi-boot setups.

The problem is that the setup will not even start, because a display driver apparently doesn't get loaded or maybe loads wrongly at ther very beginning. To be exact, immediately after the very first setup message "Setup is inspecting ...". Then the screen goes blank, the HD activity light starts to blink, but nothing else happens.

I know the hardware is not at fault because the computer works perfectly. Also, using Vista setup or Linux setup I have no problem at all. It just happens with XP, all versions: the original one up to SP3.

Now I did some further testing and it is not simply the mult-boot setup, because there have been enough occasions that it did work. Even the machine I am writing this on is multi-boot Vista/XP/Linux and does accept the setup.

Based on some preliminary internet searches I wonder whether something could be subtly wrong with the MBR, partition table, system boot record, etc.

I hope someone can give me a clue as to why a display driver won't load.

André.

Continue reading...

Back