Cannot restore files from full file backup (error 0x81000011) - Help!!

S

SCBreeze

I was running Vista SP1 on an HP system with an AMD 2.3GHz quadcore with 8GB of RAM. I used Vista Backup and Restore to perform a Full file backup before upgrading to Windows 7. The backup was placed on a secondary hard drive, and ran with no errors.

I then tried to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. That was a trail of tears in and of itself, but after finally having to do Factory Restore back to Vista and then a fresh install of Windows 7, I succeeded in getting Windows 7 running. I then ran the Restore utility to recover my full backup. The Recover worked on most all of our files, except a few ripped audio tracks and some others I can live without. Unfortunately, four video files that are personally valuable were not recovered. Each is probably around 700MB. Here's the erorr messages from the Restore Files log:

Restore failed to restore the file: C:\Users\Public\Videos\2009-6 Much Ado About Nothing Eve Cast\20090619204427.m2ts. Error:The backup file is corrupted or missing. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup. (0x81000011)
Restore failed to restore the file: C:\Users\Public\Videos\2009-7-12 Sound of Music\20090712143549.m2ts. Error:The backup file is corrupted or missing. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup. (0x81000011)
Restore failed to restore the file: C:\Users\Public\Videos\2009-7-12 Sound of Music\20090712144158.m2ts. Error:The backup file is corrupted or missing. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup. (0x81000011)
Restore failed to restore the file: C:\Users\Public\Videos\2009-7-12 Sound of Music\20090712160502.m2ts. Error:The backup file is corrupted or missing. Check your hardware configuration or restore from a different backup. (0x81000011)

Are there any utilities that can be used to try and at least partially recover these files? The files are in Compressed (zipped) Backup folders, but it appears they span multiple folders, each about 200MB each. There are 571 of these backup folders, so I haven't yet found which folders contain the files above, so help with this would be appreciated.

I called Microsoft Tech support, and they were really no help. "Sorry, even though the Backup said there were no errors, this happens sometimes." What good is a backup if you can't restore files from it??!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back