Cannot Uninstall Windows Mobile Device Center--Cannot Find Install Log

D

daemonblade1229

I now have a Windows Phone (Samsung Focus) that uses Zune to sync with my computer. I felt I no longer needed Windows Mobile Device center, which was used for my extremely buggy HTC Ozone that ran windows mobile 6.1. I want to uninstall it.
I got to my program list, find the program, click "Uninstall" but then get an error message: "Error Opening Installation Log File. Verify that specified location exists and is writable."
I have been looking online for solutions. One sight said the installation log file could be in C:/Windows/inf/ and that it was named setupapi.dev.log. It told me to move it to the desktop and then windows would recognize it. I tried, no such luck.
Then I found a past person's questions on this site. It suggested installing the WMDC driver update. I did, installed it, the installation seemed to complete, but then i received an error message explaining the device was unplugged (which is true).
Now I can't uninstall the driver update either. I get an the exact same error message as before.
I would like to uninstall this program as I no longer need it. Is there a simple way, or do I need to go download one of those third part uninstallers for stubborn programs? I don't want to mess up my computer, having this outdated artifact of a bad windows experience sitting around on my hard disk bugs me.

Continue reading...

Back