can't install MSE on new PC...

R

ravenjravary

Aloha... I just bought a new HP Pavillion with an AMD processor, 6Gb or so , pretty normal for home use. It replaced a 5 year old model that had a virus and was frozen up. It worked fine until my wife wanted to use the old external hard drive to back up the new computer, hoping our pictures would still be there. I had hesitated to do that for obvious reasons, and now it seems that might have been a mistake. The situation is that I can't access system restore... or import MSE, or update my Malware account. The computer tells me it's operating fine, and getting updates daily, but really hasn't for two weeks. It's getting more erratic all the time. I'm asking is there anything a non techie can do to rectify the situation, or do I need pro help? I try to do a partial scan, it stops 39 seconds into it. I try a full scan, it doesn't do anything. I try to run MSE, it asks me if I want the program to make changes to my computer... I click yes and the screen disappears and I'm wondering if anything happenned. I try three more times, same scenario. I look in all programs, it says the are no entries matching MSE. It doesn't recognize the words system restore. I get to the restore window, and cannot click on the options, they stay grey. I'm not well versed in diagnosis and repair. Any suggestions that get me back in the saddle would be great. It does allow me to access the internet and my e-mail... for now. Thanks Much, Raven

Continue reading...

Back