Can't install Office Professional Plus 2010 because of Compatibility Pack for Office 2007

P

Paul Easton

My version of Office was purchased through Varsity Buys educator program. I successfully downloaded the exe file to install: (professionalplus.exe, name reading English_Office_Professional_Plus_2010_w64_X17-75371), but after extracting the files, I get this Setup error:
"You cannot install the 64-bit version of Office 2010 because you have 32-bit Office products installed. These 32-bit products are not supported with 64-bit installations:

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system

If you want to install 64-bit Office 2010, you must uninstall 32-bit Office products first, then run setup.exe in the x64folder. If you want to install 32-bit Office 2010, close this Setup program, and then either go to the x86 folder at the root of your CD or DVD and run setup.exe, or get the 32-bit Office 2010 from the same place you purchased 64-bit Office 2010."
Previously, Microsoft had a utility fixer available, but have since replaced it with their FixIt software. They recommended running that, in an attempt to remove this remaining detrius from my uninstall of Office 2007, but it requires a valid registration key, which I don't have because a) the software was preloaded on my Acer, and b) I have allready uninstalled the earlier version of Office.
The IT support at varsity buys have no clue. And though I've found this error elsewhere in Microsoft help pages, no where is there a solution.

Continue reading...

Back