Conservatives trying to get liberal professors fired

DizzyME

At a college in the state where I live, there is a group of Young Republicans who are considering taking action against the professors that they deem too liberal. This pisses me off. While I am obvously liberal, I have no desire to get the overly conservative professors fired. I feel that as long as they do not try to force their opinions on the students or judge the students work based on their political belief it should not matter what their political stance is.

Rumor also has it that Sean Hannity has asked for video of any professors who are acting in an overly liberal manner, and he will try to get them fired.

Whatcha think?

DizzyME said:
At a college in the state where I live, there is a group of Young Republicans who are considering taking action against the professors that they deem too liberal. This pisses me off. While I am obvously liberal, I have no desire to get the overly conservative professors fired. I feel that as long as they do not try to force their opinions on the students or judge the students work based on their political belief it should not matter what their political stance is.

Rumor also has it that Sean Hannity has asked for video of any professors who are acting in an overly liberal manner, and he will try to get them fired.

Whatcha think?
How would you know if a professor was liberal or conservative unless he/she is trying to force his/her views on the students? I have had professors who I honestly could not tell what their political affiliation was. I have also had professors who were very outspoken about their political views. Those who are outspoken use their position to influence student opinions. I know people who have had to lie about their views when writing a paper for a teacher, because of opposing views and fear of a poor grade. School is not the place to make a political statement and I guarantee if a conservative professor started talking about creation, liberal students would try to have them fired.

I totally disagree. While I have had professors who I could not tell their political views, there are some where it is quite obvious, it doesn't appear to be a real problem. The ONLY time it should be considered a problem is if the student is given a poor grade due to his or her political views clashing with the professors.

I agree. I don't care what your views are, don't tell them to your students if you're a teacher. Wait till they're graduating, or leaving or whatever, the last day, then if they ask, tell them. But say nothing before that day. It's extremely nervewracking for the students, even if they agree with you.

daisypapaya said:
I agree. I don't care what your views are, don't tell them to your students if you're a teacher. Wait till they're graduating, or leaving or whatever, the last day, then if they ask, tell them. But say nothing before that day. It's extremely nervewracking for the students, even if they agree with you.

how is it nerveracking? Personally i love hearing their opinions about issues, whether or not I agree with them, I just like to try to understand how people think...

Those who agree with your views do not offend you. That is just the way it is.

If a professor wants to start an after school program for young democrats/republicans then more power to him, but 'political statements' have no place in the classroom, unless it is an open discussion allowing all views to be seen and heard, which it rarely is in such cases.

I see no need to speculate further on the merit of a case that provides no details of what the actual accusation is. Somehow I doubt that the accusation is

The situation in MY state is NOT just about ONE. It is about ANY and ALL that they consider to be too liberal.

DizzyME said:

Whatcha think?

I think you need to do a little reading on the subject of liberal bias in academia. I'm neither liberal nor conservative but feel that Universities should strive to have a tollerant atmosphere re: political viewpoints.

It is common knowledge that the vast majority of public and private universities and colleges have a very left wing slant...and it is evident in the classroom. I understand you might not have experienced this yourself, yet...but if you are "pissed off" that the Young Reps are filing suit because of this bias...you should really just read a few articles (google them) on the subject. Then if you feel the same way, fine.

Oh, and how many "overly conservative" instructors do you think make it through the guantlet of the hiring process at these universities? You really need to look into this. It ain't many!

I've never really listened to Sean Hannity, so I don't have much of an opinion on him. I know the liberals hate him ala Rush Limbaugh...so he must be pretty extreme.

I actually used to be very liberal when I was in college. It wasn't until I got into the work force and started reading and listening to ALL points of view that I slowly got away from being pretty left. I'm kind of "man without a country" now re: a political party. I do tend to agree with conservatives on fiscal matters, but am still pretty liberal with some social issues. I guess I think that gov't should just stay out of peoples lives more than less.

Who says I haven't looked into this? I just don't think that students should go after a professor based on their political opinions. It's college for crying out loud! We are talking about adults who are capable of making their own decisions.

Conservatives trying to get someone fired over a political view. Go figure.

When the **** will these CONservatives get it through their thick skulls that not everyone HAS to be like them? I suppose they would have no problem with the ultra conservative professors blatently pushing their agenda on the students.

Or better yet, why don't they just TEACH THE ****ING course and keep their politics to themselves?

DizzyME said:
Who says I haven't looked into this? I just don't think that students should go after a professor based on their political opinions. It's college for crying out loud! We are talking about adults who are capable of making their own decisions.
Sorry, the complete lack of details and substance might lead some to believe that you haven

DizzyME said:

Whatcha think?
Dizzy, that is because there are no conservative professors. There is an old addage that states that those who can do and those who can't teach. Professors do fall neatly into the catagory of those who can't. Since they are too ****ing stupid to actually do what they teach, they rely on tenure, handouts, grants, entitlements, etc, etc... and all of the other liberal "take from the doers and give to the bench warmers" philosophies.

what a laugh... a "conservative professor"... it's as oxymoronic as a "Christian Atheist".

Mohammed_Rots_In_Hell said:
Dizzy, that is because there are no conservative professors. There is an old addage that states that those who can do and those who can't teach. Professors do fall neatly into the catagory of those who can't. Since they are too ****ing stupid to actually do what they teach, they rely on tenure, handouts, grants, entitlements, etc, etc... and all of the other liberal "take from the doers and give to the bench warmers" philosophies.

what a laugh... a "conservative professor"... it's as oxymoronic as a "Christian Atheist".

WRONG.

Of course there are conservative professors. Take a look at an economics department of the buisiness department sometime. They tend to stick to those areas. You know, ones that don't require "thinking outside the box".

DizzyME said:
WRONG.

Of course there are conservative professors. Take a look at an economics department of the buisiness department sometime. They tend to stick to those areas. You know, ones that don't require "thinking outside the box".
Have you never heard of the Nash equilibrium? That was outside the box. It takes a very intelligent person to understand the complexities of economics...

Does this mean that you agree Conservative views on economics are best, considering most professionals in the field hold those views?

DizzyME said:
WRONG.

Read the book "Freakenomincs". Maybe help YOU to think outside the box.

I do not believe you have read much about the liberal bias in higher education. Doesn't matter to me, much. But you posted a topic and are getting the same feedback from alot of people. Why not read up a bit more? Nobody is putting you down. Infact I think most here (that agree that there is an overwhelming liberal bias in education) would be happy if you convinced us that we are wrong.

Pls convince us!

DizzyME said:
Of course people in higher education tend to be more liberal. Doesn't THAT tell you something?
Yes, those in higher education, not those with a higher education. More professors are liberal. There is a difference.
Actually, the stats show that the higher educated you are, and the more money you make, the more conservative you tend to become. I posted those stats along with the source of the study on a different thread a while back.

DizzyME said:
It takes a higher education to teach it.
What % of those who get higher degrees actually go into teaching? Proportion of professors leans toward liberal. Proportion of Upper level degrees and higher education overall leans toward conservative.

DizzyME said:
Of course people in higher education tend to be more liberal. Doesn't THAT tell you something?

Why, yes! It does. Re-read this thread. Try to pry that little mind open and just entertain that you may be off base on this subject.

Back