Default user profile/CopyProfile in WIndows 7

M

michaelnowell

Like many others I'm a little frustrated about the removal of the CopyTo functionality that prevents me from easily creating a default user profile based on my customized user settings. But many other posts have already bashed Microsoft on this and I'm hoping to just get an answer so that I can continue creating my base image.

I can create my default user profile by renaming my customized user profile to C:\users\default, changing the security on the folder/registry and by striping out all user/SID references in the registry.......like I said, that's not the problem.

I'm wanting to do things the right way by using the CopyProfile option within the Unattend.xml, but I can't seem to get this working. It just doesn't seem to overwrite the default user.

I've tried using the customized profile as Microsoft recommend.

I've tried using the local administator account as some people suggest that it only works using this account.

I've checked in the registry to see if there are any addition profile listed that may be stopping it from running.

I've run it from within Audit Mode.

I've added my unattend.xml as a custom file during a ConfigMgr task sequence.

All of the above result in the Default user profile remaing as it is when Windows 7 is first installed.

I haven't tried using MDT 2010 as I intend to use ConfigMgr for my Task Sequence distribution.

So.......has anyone had success in using the CopyProfile option to create the Default User account that they want? If so would you be willing to post your comments/process?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Continue reading...