Dem Congressman Threatens His Repub Opposition

ImWithStupid

Here's a story out of Florida where a Dem Congressman threatend his opponent by saying he would, "take him out permanently." if he brought up the fact that he had been empeached as a Federal Judge for perjury and corruption.

Florida Congressman Accused of Making Death Threat to Opponent

Challenger Marion Thorpe filed a report with Boca Raton police alleging Rep. Alcee Hastings threatened to "take him out permanently."

FOXNews.com

Friday, 2008-31-305

Florida police are investigating an allegation that Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla., directed a death threat at his Republican challenger, Marion Thorpe, at a candidates forum on Thursday.

Thorpe, a former state chief medical officer, filed a report with the Boca Raton Police Department on Thursday night after the forum, alleging he was threatened by the eight-term congressman during the event at Temple Beth El in Boca Raton.

The two are vying for the congressional seat in Florida's 23rd District, which includes Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach.

"We had a very unfortunate interaction last night," Thorpe told FOXNews.com.

After their three-question debate, Thorpe said he and Hastings shook hands with their backs partially turned toward the audience. He said Hastings pulled him in closer and said, "You mention that impeachment [expletive] again and I'm taking you out permanently."

Thorpe said Hastings was tense and had a stern look on his face.

Hastings, a former federal judge, was impeached in 1989 and removed from the bench for perjury and corruption.

Later, when the two were seated on opposite sides of the stage, Thorpe alleges that Hastings threatened him again. He said Hastings approached him, clenching his left fist and wagging his right index finger, and said, "This ain't over. I'm coming to get you."

Thorpe said he wasn't worried about the incident at first, but friends later told him they were worried because he was visibly shaken.

"They said 'all of the coloring went out of your face immediately,'" he said.

Thorpe said that Hastings had introduced the impeachment issue in the debate, but he said that the impeachment kept Hastings off the Intelligence Committee and that hurt the district.

After the event, Thorpe decided to file the incident report with police. He said he will meet with detectives this weekend to decide if he will press charges or seek a restraining order.

Repeated calls to Hastings' offices in Washington, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach were not returned.

The report says the police are investigating a "simple assault/threat" and that Hastings left Temple Beth El before police arrived.

Hastings has had some troubles on the campaign trail, facing criticism for bashing Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin. "Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don't care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks," Hastings said at a panel discussion hosted by the National Jewish Democratic Council.

"I don't intend anything bad to happen to Mr. Hastings, but I do want him to know we're not going to play this game," Thorpe said. "I also want him to know that what he's done is not legal. If he beats me, he beats me fair and square, but we're not going to threaten each other.

"It was a pitiful example of what a congressman should be," Thorpe said.

Florida Congressman Accused of Making Death Threat to Opponent - FOXNews.com Elections

I think the whole idea that it was truly a "death threat" is unlikely but I'm quite fond of how he also tried to fuel the fans of race and hate in his campaign with the comment, "Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don't care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks", while referring to Govorner Palin, so who knows what he may do.

Stay classy Congressman Hastings.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a death threat to me.. at least a threat to cause permanent bodily injury.. classy feller..

wez said:
Sounds like a death threat to me.. at least a threat to cause permanent bodily injury.. classy feller..

It's amazing that he was impeached as a Federal Judge with this sort of self control. :rolleyes:

The removal of Judge Hastings in 1989, who had been on the bench for nearly 10 years since his appointment by President Jimmy Carter was one of only six in history, came three years after the Senate ousted Judge Harry E. Claiborne of Nevada, also appointed by Jimmy Carter. The Senate also ousted Judge Walter Nixon of Mississippi in 1989, a President Lyndon Johnson appointment.

Back