Deploying software updates with an initial Office 2010 installation using the UPDATE folder

M

Mark Annis

Hello,

In the process of Deploying Office 2010 via a Network installation point and would like to include Service Pack 1 AND security software updates with the initial Office 2010 installation. I understand the process is to download the EXE updates and extract the MSP files to be copied into the UPDATE folder - as per technet article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178995.aspx#DeployInitialUpdViaUpdatesFolder

The one problem i have with this process is duplicate MSP file names. For example if i download and extract Excel2010-kb2553070-fullfile-x86-glb.exe then i have a "excel-x-none.msp" file to add to the UPDATE folder. If i then download excel2010-kb2553439-fullfile-x86-glb.exe i get another extracted "excel-x-none.msp" file.

What should i do with two MSP files with the same name, does the latest MSP file already include fixes previously released OR should i rename the second MSP file maybe "excel2-x-none.msp"? Step 7 of the MS article seems to indicate MSP file names are unique and this problem shouldn't exist - but obviously that is not the case...

A second question, the extracted MSP files always come with an XML file - should that file also be copied into the UPDATE folder?

Regards

Mark

Continue reading...

Back