Device Manager is not Installing Drivers

R

RayBCCUL

I have a strange problem on a user's laptop that has me completely stumped. It started off when she got a new external hard drive. When the external drive was plugged in it would not show up in Windows Explorer. When I looked at device manager the device was there as an "Unknown device" with a yellow ? icon. I've tested the external drive on another system and it works fine and when I plugged a USB flash drive into the laptop it worked but when I looked in Device Manager there was still an "Unknow Device" listed. I manually updated the drivers in Device Manager and windows installed it as a "Generic Volume".
So all this leads to the real problem. Any time a new hardware device is added to the system (or even if an existing device is uninstalled) and the new device is detected by Windows -- either by reboot, Plug-and-Play or by forcing device manager to scan for hardware changes -- these devices are detected and listed under Unknown devices and the driver installation dialog is never launched.
If I then select the devices individually and choose "Update drivers" then the drivers will install as expected. What could be causing this particular system not to automatically attempt to install drivers for new hardware when detected?
I've tried running sfc /scannow to repair any corrupted system files and checked that the Plug and Play service is running. No errors or messsages are logged in the event logs when the hardware is detected indicating a failure to start the install? Any ideas? I'm hoping to find a fix without reinstalling from scratch.
Thanks in advance.
Thanks...Ray

Continue reading...

Back