Dilemma-Getting a Car

ToriAllen

I plan to get a job in Atlanta before my whole family actually moves. That means ATL during the week and driving home on the weekend. I do not want to put that many miles on my van by driving it back and forth, so I need to get a new car. I

ToriAllen said:
I plan to get a job in Atlanta before my whole family actually moves. That means ATL during the week and driving home on the weekend. I do not want to put that many miles on my van by driving it back and forth, so I need to get a new car. I

I'd take the Jetta, but I'm partial to VW.
Also-go out and learn to drive a stick. Trust me. You'll never want to drive an auto again. It's soooo much more fun. And you'll never have to worry about what kind of tranny a car has again when you're looking at buying a vehicle (unless you decide you don't want to drive auto and look for that in a vehicle. Which could be why I'm partial to VW. They make lots of manuals.)

Go with the Jetta (Eyeing one myself), you'll thank yourself when George Bin Laden attacks us again and drives up gas prices and makes himself richer.

Oh, and fix the damn links, only 2 of them work.

RoyalOrleans said:
Here's the thing... buy a mid-size economical, practical vehicle. Like a Camry, Corolla, Accord, Maxima, or an Altima. Believe me, you thank me for it later. Great on gas, low maintenance, and has every bit of style and status as a piece of **** Porche.
What is wrong with Porsche? I think they are cute. If you are going to demean it then at least have the decency to spell its name correctly. I have had a Corolla before, and I did like it. That is an option.

angie said:
I'd take the Jetta, but I'm partial to VW.
Also-go out and learn to drive a stick. Trust me. You'll never want to drive an auto again. It's soooo much more fun. And you'll never have to worry about what kind of tranny a car has again when you're looking at buying a vehicle (unless you decide you don't want to drive auto and look for that in a vehicle. Which could be why I'm partial to VW. They make lots of manuals.)
I just don

I would never spend he money to change a transimission out. Its not that hard to drive a stick.
I had a sports car when I had my daughter and I got rid of it. I can't imagine having a two sports car now. Not too mention I have no place to put a bunch of cars in my drive way.

Tori I hope you know that driving with two feet is extremely dangerous.

I don't know why but I pictured you as a safe driver.
Only race car drivers and Sammy Hagar dose that.

Tori, not to be a bitch, but please-learn to drive like the rest of us. Snafu is right, it is dangerous. I get tempted to do so when I drive an auto because my poor left foot gets bored, but I find that the few times I actually tried it, I couldn't get the pressure right. I suppose my Dad screaming at me for trying to do it when he taught me how to drive might have something to do with it, he said he refused to let me drive like a girl :p . And I hated the fact that he made me drive stick (at first) and once I got used to it, I loved it. Yeah it sucks when you get stuck in traffic, but overall, is much better.
And BTW-LOVE the RX7.

I so miss driving a stick shift. Unfortunately my beloved Expedition doesn't come in a stick...
It gives you more of a feeling of control, at least it did me. It sucked when I was in a cast but oh well.
I have always heard that you get better gas mileage in a car that has stick but I don't know that for a fact.

snafu said:
Tori I hope you know that driving with two feet is extremely dangerous.
I don't know why but I pictured you as a safe driver.
Only race car drivers and Sammy Hagar dose that.
angie said:
Tori, not to be a bitch, but please-learn to drive like the rest of us. Snafu is right, it is dangerous. I get tempted to do so when I drive an auto because my poor left foot gets bored, but I find that the few times I actually tried it, I couldn't get the pressure right. I suppose my Dad screaming at me for trying to do it when he taught me how to drive might have something to do with it, he said he refused to let me drive like a girl :p . And I hated the fact that he made me drive stick (at first) and once I got used to it, I loved it. Yeah it sucks when you get stuck in traffic, but overall, is much better.
And BTW-LOVE the RX7.
LOL. You know I have heard several older people say this very same thing. I find it utterly amusing every time. There is absolutely no evidence that driving with two feet is dangerous. No studies have shown this and it makes no logical sense, yet the popularity of this statement has not dwindled over the years.
Think about this. When the car was invented, every car available was driven manually, therefore it was required that drivers use one foot for the brake and gas and the other for the clutch. All of the first drivers started out using one foot for both the brake and the gas. Then it came time to teach their children how to drive. Driving with one foot is a tradition, not a safety measure. If the first cars had been automatic, everyone would use two feet, and they would say that the people who were driving manuals and using one foot for both the gas and brake, the other foot for the clutch, one hand to drive, and the other to shift, were dangerous because their attention was so divided. It is all about perspective. It is not easy for someone who learned one way to change to a different way of driving. Those who are used to driving manuals treat the brake as if it is a clutch and press down on it fast and hard. On the other hand, those of us used to using the left foot for a brake have a problem with pressing the clutch in slow and then just letting off of it. I kill the engine every time I try to drive a manual. Really it is all about how you learn.
As for safety

RX-7 is a GREAT choice if you have the moulah. BTW, standard saves money on gas considerably as you strictly use on what you need, thats when the tramsmisson and the drive shaft come into play. I also respect the fact that you like the Eclipse 95-98 as it's a great looking underated car it's also fast. Are you into exotic, tuner, luxury, or just family cars?

Exotic

For a great priced, safe, yet considerby fast and efficient exotic car, I would recommend:

2001 LS1 SUPERCHARGED CONVERTIBLE CORVETTE 450HP RWHP

Or

92 Acura NSX

Reason for my choosing of these is because these are the cheapest, yet best buy out there for Exotic cars. Unless you have 250,000 dollars to spare for a brand new Ferrari F50, these are your best exotic bets!

Tuner

Tuner cars can be generally any cars. They must be tuned to classify under Tuner though. I recommend:

Japanese Cars like, the Honda Accord, Toyta Camry, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Nissan Altima, Nissan Maxima, Honda Civic (If you're a ricer lol), and lastl but not least, the Toyota Supra.

Luxury

Yummy luxury cars! I definitley love these! Not only can you have speed but you ride in class and most definitley in style. You can fit the whole family in too! I recommend.

Chrysler 300 (Just came out); Not only is it so damn luxurious but it comes with many electronic features, it also looks like a $150,000 Bently! All you need is this car, and some chrome rims and you're set. It's also very roomy! Also it's not pricey at all!

Lexus : LX 4x4 1999: Sure it's six years old but DAMN! It's such a good looking car. It's got the room of a hummer, and the luxury of an Escalade... If I had to choose from all these cars in your budget, it's this one! It's an SUV BTW, so it's safe, roomy, great for children, and luxurious!

Cadillac DeVille 2001: GOOOD LOOKING!! CHEAP, AND IT'S ROOMY LIKE A BOAT! I just love this car so I had to put it on this list.

Family

The hottest family car in the market right now is the Toyota Sienna. For many reasons this car is popular, but mainly becuase it's one of the safest cars ever built, it's a great family van, and some the the nicest electronic features out there. This is my number one recommendation in the Family section.

Other Recommendations:

Jeep Commander
For Explorer
Volkswagen Passat
Toyota Corolla
Honda Odessy

I hope I helped you Tori. I would also like to recommend the guys from Car and Driver as they are internationally known to be one of the best Car Reviewers out there. So here is an interactive tool, from Car and Driver and finding the best car for you.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=51&article_id=8407

Good luck with your decision and definitley do not be afraid to shop around.

I recently replaced my Caddy Escalade, which I used as my work vehicle driving over 100 miles a day, and bought a Chevy HHR. I saved over $100 a week at the pump. Escalade got 10 MPG city and 15 MPG highway compared to HHR getting 25 City and 32 highway. I sacrificed the luxury for economy. My HHR has leather and just about everything else the Escalade had. It is much smaller, but, when transporting a laptop to do your job the space I lost was unneeded anyway.
The HHR is rather stylish. I see people staring at it when I'm stopped and I have had a few ask me about it while stopped at a light. It is a head turner.

Hamza123 said:
RX-7 is a GREAT choice if you have the moulah. BTW, standard saves money on gas considerably as you strictly use on what you need, thats when the tramsmisson and the drive shaft come into play. I also respect the fact that you like the Eclipse 95-98 as it's a great looking underated car it's also fast. Are you into exotic, tuner, luxury, or just family cars?

Exotic

For a great priced, safe, yet considerby fast and efficient exotic car, I would recommend:

2001 LS1 SUPERCHARGED CONVERTIBLE CORVETTE 450HP RWHP

Or

92 Acura NSX

Reason for my choosing of these is because these are the cheapest, yet best buy out there for Exotic cars. Unless you have 250,000 dollars to spare for a brand new Ferrari F50, these are your best exotic bets!

Tuner

Tuner cars can be generally any cars. They must be tuned to classify under Tuner though. I recommend:

Japanese Cars like, the Honda Accord, Toyta Camry, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Nissan Altima, Nissan Maxima, Honda Civic (If you're a ricer lol), and lastl but not least, the Toyota Supra.

Luxury

Yummy luxury cars! I definitley love these! Not only can you have speed but you ride in class and most definitley in style. You can fit the whole family in too! I recommend.

Chrysler 300 (Just came out); Not only is it so damn luxurious but it comes with many electronic features, it also looks like a $150,000 Bently! All you need is this car, and some chrome rims and you're set. It's also very roomy! Also it's not pricey at all!

Lexus : LX 4x4 1999: Sure it's six years old but DAMN! It's such a good looking car. It's got the room of a hummer, and the luxury of an Escalade... If I had to choose from all these cars in your budget, it's this one! It's an SUV BTW, so it's safe, roomy, great for children, and luxurious!

Cadillac DeVille 2001: GOOOD LOOKING!! CHEAP, AND IT'S ROOMY LIKE A BOAT! I just love this car so I had to put it on this list.

Family

The hottest family car in the market right now is the Toyota Sienna. For many reasons this car is popular, but mainly becuase it's one of the safest cars ever built, it's a great family van, and some the the nicest electronic features out there. This is my number one recommendation in the Family section.

Other Recommendations:

Jeep Commander
For Explorer
Volkswagen Passat
Toyota Corolla
Honda Odessy

I hope I helped you Tori. I would also like to recommend the guys from Car and Driver as they are internationally known to be one of the best Car Reviewers out there. So here is an interactive tool, from Car and Driver and finding the best car for you.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=51&article_id=8407

Good luck with your decision and definitley do not be afraid to shop around.
Think you that does help. Especially the link.
I love the way the RX 7 looks and I have seen quite a few at reasonable prices.

As far as Exotic goes, the NSX is by far my top choice. In fact, as far as any motor vehicle is concerned, the NSX is my top choice. I like the early nineties style the best. They didn

Back