Disney Hijab Controversy

ImWithStupid

Sounds reasonable, inclusive, and non-exclusionary.

Disney Hijab Controversy: Muslim Hostess Calls Disney's Replacement Hijab "Offensive"
First Posted: 08-23-10 02:18 PM | Updated: 08-23-10 02:18 PM

ANAHEIM -- A Muslim woman who is fighting for the right to wear her hijab to work says Disney's replacement headress is "offensive." Imane Boudlal, 26, who is a hostess at the Storyteller's Restaurant in Disneyland's Grand Californian Hotel, says she is not allowed to wear the head scarf while at work and has been sent home seven times times -- without pay.

Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown said Disney has a policy not to discriminate and is trying to work out a compromise.

Disney has offered Boudlal a hat to wear on top of a bonnet in place of her own white headscarf but Boudlal says the new uniform does not meet her religious needs and says the hat is embarrassing, especially because she would be the only employee forced to wear it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/23/disney-hijab-controversy-_n_691368.html

Because being the only one to wear a hijab wouldn't stand out like being the only one wearing a hat.

View attachment 2941

Attachments

• 22414bddd5e19f899731b4ed2ccfeace.jpg
    22414bddd5e19f899731b4ed2ccfeace.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 12
Umm... they have a uniform, and they should be allowed to enforce that any way they desire...

If this woman wants to work there, she should follow the dress code... or be fired.

We are too soft about crap like this.

Yeah, because that's the main issue here...

You're right. The main issue is government needs to stay the fukk out of private business.

Uh...what? There is nothing in the article (or the linked main article) about "government intervention". You pull some of the strangest things out of your ass some days.

Umm... they have a uniform, and they should be allowed to enforce that any way they desire...

If this woman wants to work there, she should follow the dress code... or be fired.

View attachment 2942

The one on the left is what she wants to wear. Nothing terrible about that.

The one on the right is what they want her to wear (one of the options of them, I guess).

Now, really, why is Disney even fighting it? She looks ridiculous in the cowboy hat. The hijab is just a head scarf.

Granted, if it wasn't a religion thing, I would agree with you wholeheartedly, RaE. But this woman just wants to wear a head covering that's part of her religion. If it were a Christian thing, this wouldn't be a story because Disney would've immediately bowed down.

Attachments

• a40afbc10bcbcc1eae92e4119f366e52.jpg
    a40afbc10bcbcc1eae92e4119f366e52.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 11
Yep, gotta agree here. If they have a uniform and dress code, then she should comply.. don't like it... apply somewhere else.

That would be like me complaining to my boss I don't like the black frocks were supposed to ware because of religious reasons.. It's policy, so if I don't like it, I can always go apply for a different job elseware.

For once I completely agree with Bender, this woman has a choice, she does not have to work for this employer and it is impossible to require all employers to conform with every religious twist and turn that could come up with all the many splinters of religions.

If this woman has issues conforming with company policy, then she needs to go find herself another job. Who does the company belong to? Who sets the rules?

Ten times more important is the setting, the environment, this specific job entails. They are trying to create a fantacy experience, a "Magic Kingdom" where people can leave their troubles behind and explore entertainment unfettered by the problems outside of the fences. This woman is refusing to help her employer entertain the guests by helping to set the stage, if she refuses then she should be fired.

Yeah, because that's the main issue here...

You're right. The main issue is government needs to stay the fukk out of private business.

Uh...what? There is nothing in the article (or the linked main article) about "government intervention". You pull some of the strangest things out of your ass some days.

She is suing in a court of law. The court is part of the government. The court shouldn't hear the case, because as a private business owner, they should be able to decide what the uniforms their employees must wear or they can find employment elsewhere.

View attachment 2943

The one on the left is what she wants to wear. Nothing terrible about that.

The one on the right is what they want her to wear (one of the options of them, I guess).

Now, really, why is Disney even fighting it? She looks ridiculous in the cowboy hat. The hijab is just a head scarf.

Granted, if it wasn't a religion thing, I would agree with you wholeheartedly, RaE. But this woman just wants to wear a head covering that's part of her religion. If it were a Christian thing, this wouldn't be a story because Disney would've immediately bowed down.

It doesn't matter what she wants to wear.

A private business has a dress code... Her "scarf" violates that dress code. If she wants to wear the hijab, she should find a job where she is allowed to...

This has nothing to do with religion... this has everything to do with her trying to make Disney look bad because they are "religiously intolerant" which is a crock. She is too heard headed to conform to the rules, she should lose her job.

And I hope she's black-listed from other employers, but that's personal... I can't stand her wasting tax payer money on this frivolous crap.

Attachments

• a40afbc10bcbcc1eae92e4119f366e52.jpg
    a40afbc10bcbcc1eae92e4119f366e52.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 8
So is the stupid hat part of the uniform she is required to wear? If not, then why not let her use her head scarf (which I think looks silly, too, but whatever, that's their thing)? It's part of her religion, whatever. If it's not hurting anyone, why not? If Disney is supposedly against discrimination, then prove it.

What I have a problem with, is why did they hire her if they didn't want to have an employee that wore a head scarf? They hired her like that, for that position, so tough crap for Disney now.

So is the stupid hat part of the uniform she is required to wear? If not, then why not let her use her head scarf (which I think looks silly, too, but whatever, that's their thing)? It's part of her religion, whatever. If it's not hurting anyone, why not? If Disney is supposedly against discrimination, then prove it.

What I have a problem with, is why did they hire her if they didn't want to have an employee that wore a head scarf? They hired her like that, for that position, so tough crap for Disney now.

She has worked there for two years and never used to wear a hijab.

Imane Boudlal said she has worked as a hostess at Storyteller's Café in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa for two years and began wearing her hijab Sunday but was told she would have to remove it or take a job working out of public view.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0819-disney-hijab-20100819,0,5537139.story

Chi,
I think the hat in the blurred out pic is part of the uniform for the "land" that this lady works at, and so yes- it's part of the uniform. Dinsey's "lands" are well known for doing an awful lot to sell you on the idea that you are not stuck in Downtown LA or in the swamps of Florida, rather that you have traveled to an exotic location and are enjoying the sounds, sights, foods, etc of that locale. Individualism is not encouraged, not should it be.

I agree with all those that have said the private business can set the rules for their dress code. This has no business going to court. This lady can go find another job if she doesn't like it.

Chi brings up an interesting question though- Did they hire her knowing she would wear the head scarf? Or did this just come up, either through this woman just recently wanting to wear it, or someone complaining that she is wearing it? Did she sign some sort of contract when she was hired saying she would stick to the company dress code?

Imane Boudlal said she has worked as a hostess at Storyteller's Café in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa for two years and began wearing her hijab Sunday but was told she would have to remove it or take a job working out of public view.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0819-disney-hijab-20100819,0,5537139.story

That changes things, she's SOL then. They have already offered to let her keep her job and her scarf if she is transferred to another position, but she refused. They have also offered to let her keep that position and her jihab if she wears a hat with it and she has also refused. She isn't willing to compromise. It's either what she wants or nothing. She should get another job then, I would. I'd like to see her pull similar crap in her country, demanding all her way or nothing and see where it gets her.

One of the many themed restaurants we dined at while we were at Disney World, was a Chip and Dale one. The employees there and at all the other restaurants had to wear the silly themed costumes and they did it. Since she wasn't hired with a hijab, knew of their costume requirements and dress rules, she shouldn't act so surprised and start demanding things now.

I have a feeling Disney will end up caving in though and will probably even end up paying her some ridiculous, undeserved amount... Hopefully not, but.

The head scarf is the whole issue... Why should they allow her to wear it? What is the benefit to them? The benefit to NOT allowing her to wear it is more uniformity between how the employees look... That's why they have a dress code. That's why they all wear black pants and red shirts, or whatever they happen to do at this particular restaurant... Continuity, uniformity... Go to any restaurant, I bet you that 90% have a "uniform" that they have to purchase/wear or be sent home/fired.

Why should it be tough crap for Disney? They still have a dress code... And they still have the RIGHT to enforce it... Regardless of her head scarf. The hat, if I'm not mistaken, was the compromise that Disney offered to her. She could wear the scarf if she covered it with this hat, but I don't believe that all employees are required to wear them. She is lucky that they offered her a compromise... They should have said "screw you, take off your scarf or go home and don't come back."

That makes it even worse... She worked there for 2 years, and all of the sudden decided to start wearing the hijab? It sounds like somebody told her she could get some press, and possibly sue Disney if they refused to let her express her "religious difference"... I think Disney did a damn good CYA by offering her a job out of public view... I don't think she has a leg to stand on... I hope the judge tosses this out like last month's trash.

Chi brings up an interesting question though- Did they hire her knowing she would wear the head scarf? Or did this just come up, either through this woman just recently wanting to wear it, or someone complaining that she is wearing it? Did she sign some sort of contract when she was hired saying she would stick to the company dress code?

You are so late to this party :p

You are so late to this party :p

yeah, IWS snuck the answer to that in on me while I was typing. He's a jerk like that, all abusing his mod powers and junk...

I don't think she has a leg to stand on...

That sucks, but good on Disney for hiring the handicapped! I wonder if her being legless has any effect on recent desire to become all religious and junk.

and junk.

She just became a full-on American Citizen. Now she is going "Well, I have rights under the constitution. Let's rock this bitch." It talks about it in the full article you guys didn't read :p

She just became a full-on American Citizen. Now she is going "Well, I have rights under the constitution. Let's rock this bitch." It talks about it in the full article you guys didn't read :p
And the thing she attempted first was to file a false lawsuit?

Evidence is very clear she never wanted to wear the scarf until recently and now that she just got Citizenship, suddenly she wants to?

Is suing someone and getting money you don't deserve the new American Dream? At least to new Immigrants?

Is suing someone and getting money you don't deserve the new American Dream? At least to new Immigrants?

New immigrants? Please! All sorts of greedy, lazy Americans try to pull that frivolous lawsuit crap, not just 'new' immigrants.

And the thing she attempted first was to file a false lawsuit?

Evidence is very clear she never wanted to wear the scarf until recently and now that she just got Citizenship, suddenly she wants to?

Times: "Let's make up some facts, then attack her for these things!" You do enjoy the straw man, don't you?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/20/muslim-woman-files-complaint-disney-right-wear-hijab/

She's not trying to get money. She filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Hardly sounds like a good way to get money from Disney. You know, going through the legal motions to get Disney to let her wear her Hajib until they can fashion one for her (she even offered to change the color of it to match whatever theme they wanted).

Direct quote from the article: "Ameena Qazi, an attorney from the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) who is consulting with Boudlal, said she has worked at the restaurant for more than two years, but only realized she could wear her hijab to work after studying for her U.S. citizenship exam in June."

More later, work calls.

Back