Drive Q

J

Jughead007

Just had an unusual situation with a new PC with an advertised 1500 Gb HDD. The HD contained a 14 Gb partition and a 100 Mb partition, as well as the Windows 7 partition. The first 2 partitions were for booting and Gateway backup programs. The Q: drive apparently occupies space on the HDD but is inaccessible and so far, I have not found a way to remove it. The partition appears to be about 140 Gb in size although, when you try to find out exactly how large it is using partitioning tools or Windows Explorer/properties, you will get no information. The software acknowledges the presence of the partition/drive but will or can not give any details. I gather it's about 140 Gb just from looking at the remaining available space for my HDD. This is an enormous size just for Microsoft Office 2010. I mean, even a double DVD would have about 15 Gb size, at the most.
You tend to assume that MS Office Starter is just like Office Express, a basic set of programs. I didn't realize it was somehow associated with drive Q. When i first started the new PC, I was asked whether I wanted to buy Office 2010 .. I said NO and normally, that would be the end of it.
Trying to format over Q will not work and you can't delete it, either. Something that requires so much space should definitely be mentioned by the PC manufacturer/seller, but I have no info on it. They just said my PC would come with a 1.5 Tb drive. It does, but only 1340 Gb of space is actually usable to me.
I'm not sure of this, but it seems the Q drive is limiting the number of partitions I can create on the hard drive. It's a huge HDD, so it makes sense to be able to create many partitions on it for data storage and other OSs.
Anyway, a 140 Gb hidden, inaccessible, unremovable partition is very curious. I'm planning to return the PC for this reason, among other things.
Any advice/comments?
..Juggie ..

Continue reading...

Back