DVD drive not reading anything at all on Windows 7

J

Jerrydvp

Hello all,(Posting on various message boards hoping for a solution.)
My drive was running perfectly until i tried to burn a data-dvd disc the other day. It has done it before just fine and on the same day, i burned a music cd.
The drive is: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S ATA DEVICE.
It all started when i tried to backup one of my .iso files by copying it to a memorex 8x 8.5GB DVD+R with Nero 10. It stopped halfway with some generic error(that I'm sorry that i cannot remember). Being a complete novice, i uninstalled Nero and blamed the program for wasting 8 of my discs.
I tried roxio 2012 next-Once again, it froze halfway through the copy and gave me some error.
I tried ImgBurn-Halfway samething
MagicISOMaker-Made it 100% Burning a disk that doesn't work. (tested in another PC)
After going through roughly 15 discs, i decided to visit the dell support page to see if they had any firmware updates.
They did: Windows/DOS based firmware flash update for PLDS DH-16AAS DVDRW.
Release Date: 8/17/2009
Version: A01JD12
So, now my drive has the latest firmware update for it i should be in good hands....(or not)
After that, i tried maybe 2 more failed burns and then my drive just refused to read anything at all.
Blank dvds, CDs with data on them (it would show up as a blank Cd...)
I tried the Microsoft Fix it tool about a thousand times hoping that it would work one day...(i'm actually running it right now...how sad. When it gets to this part ---> "http://i39.tinypic.com/1zfom6f.jpg", whatever DVD or CD in the drive at the moment is read and autorun pops up(i once tried to burn it that way, failed) The MR Fix it will exit and say no problem was found.
Tried CDgone also.
I deleted the uppers filters/lowers filters...i even got angry and deleted them ALL and had to do a system restore to get my PC back to working again...I am sorry if a solution for this is somewhere on the forums but i just could not find it...EVERY SINGLE link on Google is now purple and my eyes hurt. Help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
PC Specs/programs that i think would be of help:
Windows 7-64bit
4GB Ram
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S ATA DEVICE.
1TB WD Caviar Green HDD
MagicISO/Disk
ImgBurn
Roxio 2012
I cannot do a system restore A restore point was never made.(i turned it off a while back i think...yea i know.)

Continue reading...

Back