Golf-McIlroy joins greats after repelling Garcia charge

S

Sports News

* McIlroy lands first British Open victory * Becomes third youngest to win three majors * Garcia shares second spot after closing 66 (Adds McIlroy quotes) By Tony Jimenez HOYLAKE, England, July 20 (Reuters) - Rory McIlroy suffered several anxious moments but kept the jitters in check to rubber-stamp his status as the newest golfing great by landing the first British Open title of his career on Sunday. The 25-year-old Northern Irishman watched Sergio Garcia (66) cut his overnight lead from six strokes to two before repelling the last-round charge by his European Ryder Cup team mate to land his third major in a tantalising finish at Royal Liverpool. McIlroy returned a closing 71 for a 17-under total of 271 to become the third youngest player in the modern era to capture three of the four majors, following Jack Nicklaus (23) and Tiger Woods (24). I'm happy I gave myself a cushion because there were a lot of guys coming at me especially Sergio and Rickie Fowler," he told reporters after picking up the coveted Claret Jug and a first prize of 975,000 pounds ($1.67 million).

Continue reading...

Back