Group Policy Preferences Not Applying

B

BSU Help Desk

I am having a problem getting Windows Group Policy Peferences to apply to machines immediately after they are imaged. We are using Group Policy Preferences to, among other things, set a customized power plan as the default plan. Upon logging into a machine after it has been imaged, I can see our customized power plan, but it is not selected as the default plan. RSOP shows that the policy that contains the preferences is being applied. Group Policy settings that reside in the same GPO as the Preferences have also been applied correctly. Only the Prefences are not applying.
We are using an image task sequence in SCCM to deploy the image. The image is of Win 7 SP1 64bit. We ran into the same problem with Win 7 64bit (not SP1) that was resolved by appling hotfix 2284538. We now seeing the same problem occur when imaging with Win 7 SP1, although SP1 contains this hotfix.
If I log into the into the machine after it is imaged and delete GUID in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Group Policy\Client\RunOnce and then run gpupdate, the preferences are applied correctly. However, just imaging the computer and not deleting this value results in the preferences not being applied.

Continue reading...