hangs at searching preconfigured drivers

B

BeemerBiker

I replaced a defective intel DG965 motherboard with an intel DG975. I did this by cloning the disk and then swapping motherboards. Everything else stayed the same (CPU, memory, DVDs). Before I swapped I ran the install for the DG975 motherboard so the drivers would be loaded.
I can boot into the GUI and I have about 2 minutes where I can do things like bring up the device manager, event log, add/remove programs, regedit, etc, but eventually the system locks up at "searching preconfigured driver folder" or something like that. I read another post here and tried deleteing all those png files in windows\inf. That just gave me a little longer before the system hung.
I bought the intel motherboard, cpu, Vista 64 OEM, etc from newegg in 2007 for myself and upgraded to Win 7 home premium 64 just two years ago. Last year the USBs, keyboard and mouse ports all stopped working as something burned up. I had been using an add-in card for USB to solve this problem. This has now become unsatisfactory and all I can find for replacement is a slightly later model DG975 motherboard which I just got from newegg.
I have both Win7 Home Premium full (already activated) and that famly upgrade 3 pack that was only used twice (once on this Vista system).
Surely there is something I can do to get this to work. It boots just fine into the GUI and actually works for about 2-3 minutes before hanging.
I can boot the original DG965 if I put the CPU back in it but if I run SYSPREP (suggested in another post here) then I will lose all my user stuff: mail, Visual Studio, Office, about 200gb of stuff accumulated since 2007.
Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...

Back