Have Two windows 7 at boot up. How do I delete it?

O

Ob'sMOM

Hey guys so I have a dell laptop & it caught a nasty virus to where I couldn't even sign in to the internet anymore. Since I had the windows 7 instillation cd that came with the laptop, I decided to install a fresh new copy & start from scratch, hoping this would get rid of my problem.
Well, I booted the laptop from CD & followed the instructions. When it came to the part where it asks you "where do you want to install windows 7" that's where I wasn't quite sure what to click on. SO I left it on the "recommended" already highlighted selection. Everything installed clean & good and had no problems with it...... the PROBLEM is though, that when I restarted the computer, now I have TWO windows 7 options at the boot up.
Sooooo I click on the top windows 7, and that's the instillation I JUST installed, it's clean & there's nothing on it, no virus etc. After some research, I think I discovered that the new installed windows 7 is on Drive D.
The other windows 7 option is the one I was trying to delete/override with the new instillation. If I sign into it, it still has the virus & is going crazy! So my question is, how do I fix this??? I just one ONE instillation of windows 7 on my laptop. On drive C (which is the most common I think). I want to turn off my laptop & not have the option of which window 7 to go to, I want it to go straight to window 7 on C drive.

Tried & failed methods: I already signed into the older (virus inflicted) window 7, went to disk management (from control panel) & tried to highlight Drive D, right click to delete it....but it was greyed out. I have no idea how to delete the second installed window 7 on Drive D.
& once I do that,,, how dow I instal window 7 CORRECTLY over drive C???

Thank you guys, I know this was long but I was trying to be detailed..... hope you guys are still sticking with me.

Continue reading...

Back