How do I recover from blacole.cg?

B

Bernard46

My wife's Windows XP Pro machine picked up the "blacole.CG" virus yesterday evening even though she is running Microsoft Security Essentials. I think she was unlucky because it seems this is a very new virus and only detected yesterday.

One of the characteristics of this virus is that it stops your browser from going anywhere near a Microsoft Security website and it also stops the Security Essentials application - it may well do other things. Each time we tried to restart the Security Center and the Secuirty Essentials it failed.

Anyway we took the disk out of the machine and attached it to another machine - this detected the virus with Security Essentials and 'removed" it. However I suspect either something still remains or the damage to the system is still there. And no, she does not have a back up, unlike me who has backups coming out of my ears. Its not the end of the world if we have to scrub the system and reinstall, but I would rather not if possible.

I am currently running the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool - been going for 5 hours and probably has another 2 to run - nothing detected so far after 1,200,000 items.

Assuming this scan completes with nothing found does anyone have any thoughts on how I might be able to get Security Essentails to run again - I have already uninstalled it, downloaded and installed a new version successfully, but it will not run. Each time I try to start either the Security center service or the Anti-malware Service they start momentarially and then get disabled again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get these services to run properly again, or do you think I'd be better re-formatting the disk and starting again?

Continue reading...

Back