IE8 re-install in Win7?

V

viProCon

Hi all. I recently recieved a Dell machine, Win7 Pro SP1, with IE9 pre-installed. This customer is standardized on IE8. I un-installed IE9 thinking it's no big deal to just download IE8, but as it turns out Microsoft has pulled another "use what we want, not what you want" situation so there appears to be no downloads of IE8 for Win7. I've tried the Vista/Server 2008 versions, the installer detects th OS version and immediately says no. IE8 is fully compatible with Win7 (SP1 or not) so there is no reason for this nonsense as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to know why this situation exists, if anybody has any insight on that.
Be that as it may, since my customer cannot work with all their hosted web applications with IE9, they require IE8. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get it on there? I admit I have not spent time with IE9 so maybe there's a compatibility mode of some sort?
Also a bit of feedback to Microsoft on how they might want to improve the way they implement the IE9 removeal/re-install process:
Uninstalling it is easy, re-installing it is also relatively easy however once done, there are NO icons anywhere for IE anymore. They are gone from the Start Menu, the Taskbar, etc. The only option is to do a search for the iexplore.exe program and then right-click it to Pin to ____ , which is easy enough for some but others might get lost with this process.
Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back