Is it legal to use MSE in a non-profit organisation?

P

P Webb

As far as I can tell reading the license agreement it is a bit grey with the balance of probability being that it is not permitted.
If it is a commercial organisation of up to 10 machines that is allowed.
If I as an individual install it in a non-profit organisation or an educational establishment - that is NOT allowed.

As the IT dept of a small non-profit organisation (a baptist church with 4 PCs and no servers) that leaves me slightly concerned about the legal ramifications.
If we were a company making money then it would be no problem.
The only possibly vaguely legal way I could see what I want to do being legal is to create a company which potentially could be profit making, for the organisation to contract that company to provide all IT needs as a service (not to provide hardware) which would mean that all IT equipment including the PCs would be owned and managed by the company. At this point I think the balance of probability that this might now be allowed by the license.
This seems like a lot of hassle for a risky legal nicety. It would seem that, whilst MSE appears to be a very good an functional product and suiting our operational needs, the legal situation precludes us from using it. As a result we either end up trying to find another "free" product or (as we are currently) paying for a license from another company that provides free AV to home users.

I am not a lawyer but in my other life I am an IT professional with a large company and sometimes the difference between being okay and being liable for millions in legal fees and losing ones job is whether the situation is grey or black and white, with the potential for a criminal record nad a prison sentence if it involves data security.
As a result I get very worried by grey areas.

Continue reading...

Back