is my security setup for windows 7 secure enough?

H

Hawk6169

i have a:
- windows 7 professional 64 bit desktop (alienware)
with the following setup....... please let me know in as much detail as possible if it's secure enough from getting infected or not.......also if you have any ideas on additional software or other security features please feel free to mention it. i know nothing is 100% secure but i would like it to be as close to 100% as possible.

- Microsoft security essentials 2.1 with all options enabled and a daily full scan set up
- windows 7 firewall with advanced option to have outbound and inbound traffic blocked that don't match a rule (2 way firewall)
- windows 7 UAC (user account control) set to the highest option
- DEP (data execution prevention) set to protect all programs (it also says that my CPU supports hardware DEP) and i did a check for hardware DEP and it said true, so i think it is on.
- i have automatic updates on to install updates daily
- i have ccleaner and use it each night before shutting down my PC to erase all browser cache, cookies and browsing history
- Firefox with 3rd party cookies blocked with the following add-ons:
- adblock plus
- flashblock
- ghostery
- linkextend
- WOT
- Browser protect
- flagfox
- noscript

i also have internet explorer 9 set up with:
- 3rd party cookies blocked
- smart-screen filter on
- active-x control on
- tracking protection on
- pop up blocker set to medium
- security tab for: medium high security for first 3 options and high setting for restricted sites with protected mode enabled for all.

plus i try extremely hard to go to only safe sites.....for example but not limited to, i do NOT visit p n sites or p2p sites like limewire.....i do not click on any search result in Google with a red or yellow WOT symbol and i also have WOT set up to block the sites with red and yellow circles in case they accidentally get clicked on........i always get as much info as possible before downloading anything. i do not open email attachments that i don't trust. the only thing is i do a lot of research on Google, so i do go to a lot of sites, but i do make sure they are OK through WOT and linkextend. (in the green). i also make sure the computer is running fine and do a full scan just before doing a back up of the entire computer and a system image about every 2 to 3 weeks or so. (goes onto an external hard drive).

also please help me on these questions:

1) can i use malwarebytes free and superantispyware free with this setup? if so, can i keep them on the PC or should they be on a jump drive? for some reason Microsoft told me not to because they are antivirus programs......not sure why they said that.....i thought they were anti-malware and anti-spyware programs.....and i don't use the real-time protection with them, only on-demand scanners.

2) is spywareblaster needed with windows 7, i had it on xp and it seemed to be good, but does it really protect against a lot more than what internet explorer and Firefox already have for protection built in? (sites that are blocked by the browser)

3) is threatfire good to have with MSE for extra protection?........they say online that threatfire can run with another antivirus and add more protection for zero day threats......is that true/needed?....or is this total bull and not needed with MSE? in my opinion i think it might be total bull and not needed, but I'm not 100% sure and i wanted another opinion and i just really want to protect the computer as much as possible.

4) is there any more that windows 7 offers for built in protection that should be enabled?

i have a:
- windows 7 professional 64 bit desktop (alienware)
- 16 GB of dual channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 4 DIMMS (Ram)
- 2 TB hard drives (2- 1 TB drives)
- 1 - 1 GB AMD Radeon 6870 graphics card
- Intel core i7 2600k 3.4 GHz with turbo boost up to 4.1 GHz ( 8 MB Cache )

thank you to any and all for your answers. your help will be greatly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back