Jb weld a cylinder ;)

airmobile101

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Well........ this is asking for a bashing! So heres the deal. I have a 2001 KTM 50 Mini Adventure. Nice little dirtbike for a beginner like my daughter that is four. I bought this thing for $500. It ran great, and actually is(or was) fast as hell. But my ten year old son decided to drag the damn thing up and down the street against the neighbor's KX65. Long story short...... the top ring collapsed and scored the **** out of the cylinder wall. lol Now.... if your not familar with the older mini KTM's. They have a Morini Franco engine in them. A very light and high output engine thats made in Italy. Now heres where the problem comes into play. A set of rings for this thing is on back order until June. A cylinder is on back order until June also. Parts new or used are hard to find since Morini Franco has been bought out and the new owners haven't got their **** together yet to distribute parts to the world. A brand new cylinder and piston runs anywhere from $415- $550 bucks. I was fortunately lucky to find 2 brand new pistons on Ebay for $25.00 a pop. The cheapest I could find them on a website was 130.00 from Motosport. Nobody has a cylinder in stock. Its moreless just a straight piece of aluminum with no niksal coating or sleeve. Even if they did, I can't justify spending that kind of money when I only paid $500.00 for the bike.

So, here my game plan. Im gonna Thermsteel the cylinder score marks and re-hone the cylinder. lol Crazy? Maybe????? But what do I have to loose? $50.00 bucks on two new pistons? **** it, its worth a shot. And......... its not the first time I have done this. I had to JB Weld my old Z400 cylinder once before a race, and the bitch held! lol

So whatcha think????? Hell entertain me with your JB weld ideas or fixes!

have you tried champion motorsports? they run quite a few amateur KTM stuff with a race trailer

Ok, I ran that Thermosteel stuff on the cylinder. Holy ****! That stuff set up quick! Its for sure alot harder than JB Weld, and its suppose to get harder as the temp. increases. We shall see. I wont be able to hone it until this weekend.

Its in the groove, but like you stated, I don't know if it will stay after I hone it out. I had a nice gash in my z400 when I did mine, it was a easy fix at the time. It lasted one race and then I removed it and trashed it. Unfortunately.......... I need this to last a little longer. lol I had 50-70psi when this crap happened, so maybe if I hone it out, and smooth out the score marks a tad bit, it just might give the compression I need for it to run. Hell, I will settle with 90-100psi if it will run. Remember, its for a 4 year old, its not like she is gonna be wide open! Not yet at least! hahahaha

Update.......... Today I got the hone in the mail thanks to the big brown van. Anyways, after I honed out the cylinder, I was pretty much impressed, but............ I don't think Im gonna do it. Heres my reasoning. I didn't use JB weld, I used that Thermal Steel stuff. It works great, just one problem. Its some course ass ****! I can take my finger nail and feel that its rough even thou its flush. I don't think the rings will like that stuff. hahahaha
With that said, I did find a 2000 ATK 50CC dirtbike cylinder thats a match. So I think Im good to go at the moment.

Back