LAN Access, But Not Internet

M

Mr. Zilla

After looking at various forums for the last two days, I've not been able to resolve a situation I am having with a client computer. The computer is running Windows XP Professional and is capable of accessing the local network, but that is as far as it goes. In Network Connections, Local Area Connection simply says "Connected", it does not indicate any limited access like it normally would.
Ipconfig /all returns the following:
C:\Documents and Settings\ws05>ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : workstation05
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-31-50-29-0C-2E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.27.85
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.192
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.27.65
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.27.65
And arp -a returns:
C:\Documents and Settings\ws05>arp -a
Interface: 192.168.27.85 --- 0x10003
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.27.72 00-23-ae-86-f5-c3 dynamic
Which all appears pretty normal because the rest of the computers on the network have the same static settings and they can access the internet without issue. The only difference here is that the person who uses this computer recently caught a virus with AVG Free and removed it. AVG requested she reboot the computer to finish the removal process, and after the reboot she was no longer able to access the internet.
I've looked into the Event Viewer and can't find anything related to the internet issue itself, but LogMeIn keeps reporting:
The LogMeIn service terminated with the following error:
A socket operation encountered a dead network.
I've googled this problem extensively and have not found anything along the lines of much help, and I've not come across this error before. Unfortunately, the lady does not remember which virus she removed and she's since uninstalled AVG thinking that was the issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated and if I have forgotten to include anything, I apologize.

Continue reading...

Back