Laptop help

ugur90

ok so i have 2 laptops one my dad got for my bday and another which my dad gave me temporarily when i didnt have a laptop for school stuff but i used it like a normal computer meaning games, music, downloads.

Now its ****ed up everytime i open up windows like 1minute after windows starts and before any icons apppear that "blue screen with random text" pops up and my screen goes all black and i have to restart. im scared to tell my parents and even more scared that i cant use a CD to format it...has that blue screen happened with ne of u?

Use a program that edits the registry and remove anything that is booting up that looks suspicious, that will sort it out. But I wouldnt reccomend it if you dont know anything about windows and what files are essential for it to boot up, if you know anyone that may know this ask them as it could be fixed within a couple of minutes. After doing this run a virus and spyware check to remove any of the trails that may activate when other programs are launched... eg Internet Explorer activating a key logger.

Make sure you do all this in safe mode, another option is to run system restore and set the clock 'time travel' if you will back to a time when your laptop was working fine.

REMEMBER do all virus scans in safe mode, its the only way to completely remove certain pests.

If you have another PC, try googling the exact error that comes up, it's usually the second or third line that displays the error message.

it definantly sounds like there is a portion missing in your windows program. it all also depends on which version of windows you are using as well. If you are using Windows Vista then there is really no hope and the only thing to do is wipe the memory and re-install everything. I had that happen to my laptop when I was using Vista so I down graded...I mean upgraded to windows XP. if it's windows XP that you're using then I reccomend that you try to reinstall it and then go into saftey mode like stenners said and try to do a virus scan. if that dosen't work then try the geek squad at best buy. great guys lol. But first and foremost make sure all your hardwear drives are there, sometimes when something is downloaded it works but then your computer won't recognize its drives so make sure they are there.

Use a program that edits the registry and remove anything that is booting up that looks suspicious, that will sort it out. But I wouldnt reccomend it if you dont know anything about windows and what files are essential for it to boot up, if you know anyone that may know this ask them as it could be fixed within a couple of minutes. After doing this run a virus and spyware check to remove any of the trails that may activate when other programs are launched... eg Internet Explorer activating a key logger.

Make sure you do all this in safe mode, another option is to run system restore and set the clock 'time travel' if you will back to a time when your laptop was working fine.

REMEMBER do all virus scans in safe mode, its the only way to completely remove certain pests.

Your best bet unless that doesn't work then format it...

it definantly sounds like there is a portion missing in your windows program. it all also depends on which version of windows you are using as well. If you are using Windows Vista then there is really no hope and the only thing to do is wipe the memory and re-install everything. I had that happen to my laptop when I was using Vista so I down graded...I mean upgraded to windows XP. if it's windows XP that you're using then I reccomend that you try to reinstall it and then go into saftey mode like stenners said and try to do a virus scan. if that dosen't work then try the geek squad at best buy. great guys lol. But first and foremost make sure all your hardwear drives are there, sometimes when something is downloaded it works but then your computer won't recognize its drives so make sure they are there.
Vista > XP if you know how to use Vista and have a computer than can run it.

If its not a virus it is probably a Driver or Registry error. Also if you added any hardware that could be a problem. I accidentally put the wrong type of RAM in one time and that happened. I just took it out and put the right kind in.

First thing I would do, before touching anything... is to take the hard drive out, attach it to another computer, boot from the secondary computer's drive, and see if you can backup all your data first. Then if you want, you can format the drive, reinstall windows, and move over the backed up files. Dont know how easily this can be done with laptops, but it worked when my desktop was giving me problems booting up.

If you really want good help though, write down or get a picture of the error/screen that pops up and show us/google it. 9 times out of 10 google can help you find fixes to problems like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
First thing I would do, before touching anything... is to take the hard drive out, attach it to another computer, boot from the secondary computer's drive, and see if you can backup all your data first. Then if you want, you can format the drive, reinstall windows, and move over the backed up files. Dont know how easily this can be done with laptops, but it worked when my desktop was giving me problems booting up.

If you really want good help though, write down or get a picture of the error/screen that pops up and show us/google it. 9 times out of 10 google can help you find fixes to problems like this.

good idea but you have to have another laptop and preferably a DVD drive to backup onto. Also DISCONNECT any other hard drive in case it is a virus I didn't do that once and paid in the long run!

Back