Linkage Question

littlelukeyyy

Hey guys what would you guys do for a new linkage. I heard that if you change the linkage it makes a big difference on the suspension. I have a 2006 450r with stock shocks and stock swingarm. I have plus 2 st trvl a arms and a plus 2 axle. How would i benefit with a mx and how with a xc. I dont really do any jumping but would like to start when i build a track at my house. I also have 18inch tires and do i have to buy or revalve my rear shock if i do??

I have GT Thunderlink XC rear linkage on two of my 450's each with stock shocks that Nick @ Jet Suspension reworked. The linkage really smooths out the ride and gives a noticeable positive change in control of your quad when you have it pinned going thru whoops & such. The rear linkage and shock rework by Nick were the two best bang for the buck mod's I've done on those quads.

Sorry for the confusion, no you don't have to rework your shocks to use & get benefit from the gt thunder rear linkage. I was just pointing out a very cost effective route to getting your stock shocks redone to enhance the effect of your linkage. The rear linkage advantage will be noticeable on its own.

Just talked to nick at jet, great guy to ask questions about suspension for someone new. Definately plan on having my suspension done for my next big mod.

I'm glad you called him. Nick is a great guy & very patient when trying to explain things. Nick did the Stealth Extended Travel rework on both quads, with triple rate front & dual rate rear. Night & day difference from the stock shocks I sent him. You can go faster, with more control & comfort.

Just to point it out, if it hasn't yet:

With the MX linkage you will be able to run 18" tires AND 20" tires (or higher if desired)

You CAN NOT run the XC linkage on 18's..

does the xc link sit lower than the mx? i dont quite understand why you couldnt run 18s on an xc link. can someone explain it in stupid people terms for me?

No stupid questions Gunny, I myself only know the answer because I had asked Laz @ GTT.

The difference is in the ride height, so yes you CAN use 20-22" rears with the MX linkage, but your ride height will be off by the size of the tires, not a big deal though.

With the XC linkage, it is designed to have at least 20" tires on it, if you use 18" tires, that extra inch could cause your frame to contact the ground before your shock has completed it's travel.

So, if you plan on running 18s at all, go for the MX linkage, and have your shock built by a reputable company and make sure you enclose as much info as you know (type of riding, skill level, weight, swingarm, size tires ect ect..)

thanks for the reply dave. i was gonna go with an xc link but i run 18s when im not trail riding so ill go with an mx link

NP guys anytime, that sounds like your best bet, gunny!

I assume El Mamito would be better off with the XC link or maybe even the Shorty link that Laz has for max ground clearence. (I think Nick @ Jet will build to the GTT specs though)

Back