Malware getting past MSE

M

MikeTinVA

I volunteer at a retirement community helping with personal computers and have installed MSE on maybe 30 computers for the residents there. One resident, who admittedly does surf the web a lot, Has been bitten twince in two weeks by rogue anti-malware viruses. He has a Dell B110 desktop running XP sp3 and MSE.
He first got a Malware called Smart Anti Malware Protection two weeks ago, even though MWE was up to date and scanning weekly. Used the Microsoft Safety scanner to remove the virus, but computer still very "weak" and not fully preforming. Reloaded XP, updated to sp3, reinstalled MSE (now daily updates and scans) and got hit by ANOTHER malware within a week: Smart Protection 2012 Firewall.
So, it appears MSE missed another one. Downloaded and ran Microsoft Safety Scanner again which found and removed two offenders: Exploit:Java/CVE-2011-3544.gen!B and Rogue:Win32/Winwebsec. But computer is still very sick. Very slow, some things not working correctly. So, do I reload XP again?
Any advice would be most apreciated. And what worries me most is the other 29 computers I have guided toward MSE. DId I make a mistake?
Thanks,

Mike in VA

Continue reading...

Back