Mike and Brad on KROQ

Hahninator

k I had to scribble this onto notepad since it was a recording and I cant upload or whatever (bout to go see Red Eye for real this time)

Mike and Brad's interview on KROQ was finally cast *Thanks global radio* lol

KROQ: Mike and Brad from Linkin Park! Whats up, you guys?
Mike: We’re doin’ good.
Brad: I just want to say to start, I think it’s ironic that I had to fly from LA to Miami to do press with...
KROQ: On our show...
Brad: ...our radio station.
KROQ: In LA. We’ve been dying to talk, we were very excited that you’re here, and you got some cool stuff to talk about. Tell us about Fort Minor. What’s going on?
Mike: Fort Minor is a side project that I started doing just because I haven’t done hip-hop in a long time, probably like 5-7 years, just straight hip-hop songs. And I started getting kinda antsy and I just really wanted to do something that was in that style that I can get back to my roots and do that.
KROQ: Theres a list of like 6-7 guys...
Mike: Yeah Jay-Z is my executive producer; Brad, sitting right here, I chose him as my A&R guy which was really fun.
KROQ: Really? You had to go and track down people for the project?
Brad: No, I’m actually the guy that came into the studio and told Mike that everything was crap.
[laughter]
KROQ: Nice, I like it...
Mike: That was his job, that was his job. The album is ready. We finally got a release date locked down. It’s gonna be November 22 and we’re really excited about that. I actually had the album ready since like about summer.
KROQ: Now you said you wanted to “get back to hip-hop.” What were you doing in hip-hop before we knew you from Linkin Park?
Mike: Well, actually the one of the reasons that I started, well, I was one of the people to start Linkin Park...Is because of Brad, and our friend Mark, and I got together coz these 2 guys were from the rock world, and I was just doing hip-hop production and rapping. I was making beats for myself and friends of mine. Since then, Linkin Park just took off and everything had just gone in that direction. The more I listen to hip-hop today, its so keyboard-based and kind of homogenized that I really waited for someone to do an album that was organic and had live instruments in it and had, like, old-school songwriting, thinking that a lot of albums, like when hip-hop started out, a lot of albums had that. And so I just wanted to make something that’s got that soul to it but it still sounds like a new album.
KROQ: Brad, what does Fort Minor mean?
Brad: Um... [pause] Well, I think Fort Minor really just represents the sound and vision of this project and from the start Mike really had a big vision for what he wanted to do with the side project, and being able to work with all the amazing people on the record; one thing he didn’t mention is although there were a lot of guest vocalists, Mike actually produced the record, he wrote the whole record, and played all the instruments himself...
KROQ: Wow.
Brad: ...so it’s a very personal record for him, and he worked tremendously hard on it. I mean, I was joking about being hard on him earlier, but we were hard on this record in a sense that Mike wrote so many songs and only the best ones made it.
KROQ: How many songs did you write?
Mike: I probably had upwards of 40 tracks thrown together...
KROQ: Wow.
Mike: ...and the thing is that Brad and Jay, the reason I brought them in is that I’m a pretty versatile writer, I can write any type of song, and when I was doing this project, whatever came to my mind that I thought was exciting I kinda just threw an idea down. The reason why I brought these guys in was kinda like... uh... zero in on the songs that would sound the most consistent, that represented me well, and would sound good as an album.
KROQ: Could you write a country music hit?
Mike: Could I?
KROQ: Yeah.
Mike: [laughs] I suppose...
KROQ: Have you heard Toby Keith’s song “Fries go with that?” That’s the sh*ttiest song I’ve ever heard. [Mike is still laughing] If that song can be a hit, any song can be a hit. You can write one before you leave this table today that would be better than that.
Mike: [still laughing] Oh my god that is fantastic...
KROQ: Lets talk about the MTV Music Video Awards coz there’s something unusual you’re doing this year.
Mike: Yeah it’s actually the 1st time they’ve done it; the MTV people called us up and asked me if I would do... uh... help with the score. And I was kinda thinking, what in the world are you talking about? What is the score? You’ve never done score! Well, what they wanted to do is rather than having all the bumpers and things at the beginning and end of the show, right before and after commercials. All those places where they usually play hit songs they’re kinda showcasing throughout the show, I think what they thought is that kind of thing gets kind of redundant. They wanted new music so they asked me and they asked Lil’ Jon to do the score.
KROQ: Did you work together?
Mike: We didn’t work together on it. We both did our own tracks, and MTV gave us full, creative control to do whatever we wanted. So you’ll hear songs that sounds like Linkin Park, you’ll hear songs that sound like Fort Minor, and some other things as well.
KROQ: Which one got more crunk in ‘em, you or Jon?
Mike: Jon.
KROQ: Jon does. [laughs]
Mike: Jon has more crunk.
Brad: At least there was no hesitation.
KROQ: Brad wasn’t in that, though. He has the most crunk of all...
Mike: I have to tell you that I’ve gotten a letter from Lil’ Jon’s camp, and they used “crunk.” Crunk is like the most versatile adjective...
KROQ: Is that right...
Mike: ...I can’t think of anything to compare it to. It started off like, “Hey Mike, its really crunk to get to send this letter to you,” and it might as well said “Crunkfully yours” at the bottom! I don’t even know what it said.
KROQ: “We sould get together and crunk when we see you next...” [laughs]
Mike: Yeah. Exactly.
Brad: And even the date was a crunk. [laughter] That was a little weird. It was like crunk/crunk/crunk.
Mike: Everything’s crunked. You just throw in every dot of line.
KROQ: I like that! I should start using that. You think I can pull that off?
Mike: I hope so... [laughs]
KROQ: Yeah sure... The name you’ll wanna look for is “Fort Minor.” That’s the new solo project. Great to see you guys again, man. Thank you so much.
Brad: Thanks for having us.

this isnt my copy, thanks FM boards lol I had to copy yours since mine had some errors.
anyways, ill fix this up soon. peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
crunkness :D I'm gonna be at Wal-Mart at 11:30 and steal an album 30 minutes before it goes on sale like I did with Meteora lmfao

Well I was at Wal-Mart and I was standing beside the signs that advertised LPs new album. So here comes along a guy with a little box full of baby Meteoras O_O lmao. He sets it down and starts putting them on the shelf, so I ran up and grabbed one and took off in the store, ran to the front desk and checked it out in the express line. So thats how I got Meteora at 11:30 O_O The guy was like "HEY YOU CAN'T GET THAT YET!" :O

Back