MSE - Unable to turn on Windows Defender

F

fairybyangel

original title: New to MSE
I used to have Norton, but I continued to have viruses turning it off and come on my computer, and had live help via phone 3x! So now I have downloaded MSE and have had this for the past month now. I also saw several people in the community who reccommended downloading Malwarebytes to get rid of any deep malware you think your computer may have. So I did this also. So far in the past month I have not had ANYTHING come up on the MSE and my Windows Defender will not turn on. I have updated the defenitions to Windows Defender at least 4x, yet it keeps saying it's out of date. I also get quite a bit of stuff on the Malwarebytes and it's always from Adware.MyWebSearch. Most of them are regarding Guffins, which I don't know what that is? Has anyone had this come up: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{A916EEFE-6A17-4D7D-A131-2738B260BB553? This is just one example of many related to Windows and/or Microsoft. I guess I am just wanting some reassurance these are actually viruses, as MSE isn't catching a single item, and the defender won't turn on. Do you think Malwarebytes is getting them all first, or do you think it is a virus itself? I just don't know what to do! The last time I asked for some advice, you guys helped me by telling me to loose Norton and get the MSE, and so far my computer is running much better!!!! So thank you very much for that :) If anyone knows about any of the other stuff above, please let me know!
Thanks
Tammy

Continue reading...

Back