need to remove 'personal antivirus' malware

T

thfisher

I was over my godparent’s house during July 4th and they asked me to have a look @ their computer that they believed was infected w/ a virus.
looking it over i found that they kept having virus prompts coming up by a software called 'personal antivirus' and it kept prompting them to purchase protection. its actions were suspicious. i looked around for any other av and found that their mcafee av was expired which would explain how they got this malware in the 1st place. i tried to uninstall ‘personal antivirus’ but was unsuccessful, even checking the registry where i couldn't find it. I tried to install ‘avg free’ but it couldn’t because it saw ‘personal anitvirus’ as legit av software.
i then went online to get info on this malware and noticed that the program kept trying to tell me web sites that might be of help were security risks. i downloaded spyware doctor, which i was told was free, but after scanning it wanted money.
i installed win xp sp 3 and rebooted in the hopes that the 'malicious software removal tool' might be able to identify and kill this thing.
unfortunately, i had to leave by that time so i was unable to continue so i was hoping someone might be able to guide me in uninstalling this malware, picking up a free malware killer, or @ least let me know if i am on the right track.

Continue reading...

Back