New Cold War? Russia threatens Poland with nuclear strikes over missile deal

Acezorz

(First of all, sorry if this should have been posted in the poll thread, but this is more a discussion on the possibility of another war, rather than the attacks on Georgia.)

Looks like the US/Russian rhetoric increased majorly due to a recent US-Poland missile defense pact. (see: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe...eld/index.html)

Russia: Poland risks attack because of US missiles

By JIM HEINTZ, Associated Press Writer 45 minutes ago

MOSCOW - A top Russian general said Friday that Poland's agreement to accept a U.S. missile interceptor base exposes the ex-communist nation to attack, possibly by nuclear weapons, the Interfax news agency reported.

The statement by Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn is the strongest threat that Russia has issued against the plans to put missile defense elements in former Soviet satellite nations.

Poland and the United States on Thursday signed a deal for Poland to accept a missile interceptor base as part of a system the United States says is aimed at blocking attacks by rogue nations. Moscow, however, feels it is aimed at Russia's missile force.

"Poland, by deploying (the system) is exposing itself to a strike — 100 percent," Nogovitsyn, the deputy chief of staff, was quoted as saying.

He added, in clear reference to the agreement, that Russia's military doctrine sanctions the use of nuclear weapons "against the allies of countries having nuclear weapons if they in some way help them." Nogovitsyn that would include elements of strategic deterrence systems, he said, according to Interfax.

At a news conference earlier Friday, Nogovitsyn had reiterated Russia's frequently stated warning that placing missile-defense elements in Poland and the Czech Republic would bring an unspecified military response. But his subsequent reported statement substantially stepped up a war of words.

Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski was quoted Friday by the Polish news agency PAP as saying that Poland is open to Russian inspections because it wants to give Moscow "tangible proof" that the planned base is not directed against Russia.

U.S. officials have said the timing of the deal was not meant to antagonize Russian leaders at a time when relations already are strained over the recent fighting between Russia and Georgia over the separatist Georgian region of South Ossetia.

Russian forces went deep into Georgia in the fighting, raising wide concerns that Russia could be seeking to occupy parts of its small, pro-U.S. neighbor, which has vigorously lobbied to join NATO, or even to force its government to collapse.

"I think the Russian behavior over the last several days is generally concerning not only to the United States but to all of our European allies," said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman, when asked about Russian threats against Poland as a result of the missile defense agreement.

He also suggested that earlier U.S. offers for broad cooperation with Moscow on the missile defense program may be reevaluated considering the latest developments.

Under the agreement that Warsaw and Washington reached Thursday, Poland will accept an American missile interceptor base.

Washington says the planned system, which is not yet operational, is needed to protect the U.S. and Europe from possible attacks by missile-armed "rogue states" like Iran. The Kremlin, however, feels it is aimed at Russia's missile force and warns it will worsen tensions.

In an interview on Poland's news channel TVN24, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said the United States agreed to help augment Poland's defenses with Patriot missiles in exchange for placing 10 missile defense interceptors in the Eastern European country.

He said the deal also includes a "mutual commitment" between the two nations to come to each other's assistance "in case of trouble."

That clause appeared to be a direct reference to Russia.

Poland has all along been guided by fears of a newly resurgent Russia, an anxiety that has intensified with Russia's offensive in Georgia. In past days, Polish leaders said that fighting justified Poland's demands that it get additional security guarantees from Washington in exchange for allowing the anti-missile base on its soil.

"Simply the existence of this installation increases Poland's security," Polish President Lech Kaczynski said Friday.

Now obviously, what the General meant is open to interpretation. He is likely talking about in the case of a full-scale nuke shoot with the U.S., Poland would now be a target for the first volleys. I seriously doubt the General is talking about a preemptive nuclear strike against Poland- that would be a VERY stupid thing to say.

What it does mean, though, is that US/Russian relations are now going to be severely damaged, almost to a point of no return in any short amount of time. If Russia begins to build up sympathetic/allied countries (Venuzuela, Cuba, Iran) in order to challenge the US indirectly, this could very well either be a continuation of the Cold War, or the beginning of the Second Cold War.

Georgia didn't start a world war like a lot of people speculated, but it did however possibly start something a lot more serious.

Blehhhh... why did the Russian government get all crazy all of a sudden? One day they all just woke up and were like... 'Hey, lets **** with Georgia today! Itll piss off a bunch of nations and we can get some attention!'

:no:

I hope not... Above everything, nuclear war is my biggest fear in life.

Threatening with nuclear strikes is bad enough, they're trying to intimidate us. With the west busy in the Middle East and America in the middle of elections, I have to say they timed their moves pretty well.

nae its just politics, with the world as it is you cant just nuke someone, its not 1945 anymore. the media is everywhere so nothing can be done is secret anymore. Their ties might be broken but it wont go as far as war

they are not going to use nuclear weapons..

no way

Exactly

Setting up nuclear weapons dos not mean they are armed, or any intention of attacking. Its a scare factor.

The Original Source Article said:
"Simply the existence of this installation increases Poland's security," Polish President Lech Kaczynski said Friday.

as long as it stays a cold war rather than an actual war, itll be all good, i dont fancy either side deciding to attack the other, nukes or no nukes

Whatever conclusion NATO comes to will be what decides the future of this issue. But Russia also has a big role to play as if obvious. I don't like to be negative but I don't think Russia is even going to try resolve it unless NATO proposes a deal that benefits Russia more then anyone else. Which is not going to happen so I can see a war spawning out of this.

I heard people today saying they think it may become World War III which is a big deal to me considering I thought that this issue was like 99% unimportant over here at least until the end of the Olympics... If World War III does start, well... I don't even wanna think about it...

Hopefully at the most it becomes Cold War II, I'd rather live in fear of a world war then live with fear in a world war...

ADD
I've been expecting this whole thing for ages now, since back here:
http://www.linkinparkforums.com/showthread.php?t=15838
http://www.linkinparkforums.com/showthread.php?t=15776

i dont know about world war 3, theres too much riding on the outcome this time for anyone to risk going to war, short of those that generally benefit from war, the losses this time around would spook even the most hardened of generals, iraq-afghan and such arent super powers, allowing for the battles to be isolated in some way, but given the missile capabilites of those 2 superpowers Rus and America, regardless of nukes, they can still cause alot of damage

i think its all a scare campaign really, russians seem to have a penchant to wanting to return to the Super Powers day before their collapse after the cold war, this is probably nothing more than just flexing of their power and a signal to the world that they arent a shambles from before, any war now would only knock russia back into those old days as they surely would know theyd be condemned to hell for any actions deemed war starting

Well you do have a point, but I think war isn't something that should be ruled out, especialy considering it's the Russians with an Ex-KGB Prime Minister that is going to make the final decision.

^ Indeed. If the situation does escalate into a war, prey it isn't the end of us all - because if nuclear weapons are involved, it probably will be.

In Soviet Russia, Poland threatens you!!11!!

:D

But seriously, Russia is acting way out of line. I am sad that the EU has yet to actually do anything to them...not even issue one of thier precious sanctions. I mean come on, Russia invades a country that has no way to defend itself against such force, then "annexes" two chunks of that country back to Russia, and no one even writes an angry letter?

Even if the EU does nothing, I still Russia is pretty dumb to do this. They have successfully set themselves back twenty years with this fiasco.

Back