New Review of Minutes to Midnight

GraDoN

its been real
posted by hybridx on lpu
This was posted on www.lpassociation.com by Lord Johnny

The studio was in Hollywood and yes, we had to leave all belongings in the car, couldn't even bring a purse in at all. There were about 15 of us there, we sat and listened to the album then Brad and Rob did a Q&A with us. I was seriously bummed that Mike wasn't there but it was great hearing Brad and Rob's take on the songs and recording process.

First off, this is not "Linkin Park", this is a new band comprised of the same guys. That's the best way to describe it, it reminded me sort of the Beatles white album because it was so different and used so many new ideas that you would not even begin to think.

Rob specifically said they didn't want to complete a triology of works, in other words Meteroa was so similar in sound to Hybrid Theory that they wanted something totally different.

The first thing that struck me is how little you hear Mike vocally. In the past, he's almost 50/50 with Chester but now Chester is the lead singer, period. There were two of the eleven that I remember Mike being the dominant voice and rapping, but that was it. There was one song where Mike was actually singing, I'd heard he has a good singing voice so it was nice to hear it.

Brad said that their tastes have changed so they allowed their music to evolve with them. He, personally, likes indie music so he wrote a lot of songs with no guitar at all, which is strange since he's the guitarist. By the way, I don't think he's cut his hair since Meteroa - it's a huge afro!

The first single is a good bridge between the LP that we know and what we're about to hear. I'd say there was only one other song with a "harder" rock sound. It's much more alternative and almost zero hip hop.

There are some sounds in there that stand out, like one song that had an old-school Metallica feel to it, one with a marching-band drum cadance sound, etc.

Someone asked if they were going to be making a move towards having a political voice, if anyone has seen their first video you understand the question. Brad said they all have very different views but their one unifying opinion is in support of the victims of natural disasters. He didn't say it, but as an example, Katrina, which you hear reference to in one of the songs.

Rob said they made it to be listened to all together. There is no one song they like any better than the others, they really want it to be heard altogether. They were both so excited that we sat there and heard the whole thing from beginning to end, that was how they designed it to be heard and hope that people will llisten to it like that rather than just download one song onto their iPod and that's it.

There is going to be 3 different versions released: regular albumn, special edition and then one with a lot of artwork and it going to be VERY expensive (Brad jokingly said it was going to be $50,000).

The guys were nice and you can tell they are really, really excited about the songs. It's one that you really have to let roll around in your head for a while, I feel like I need to hear it a few more times to truly understand it, but that won't be for about 5 weeks. lol

Totally amazing experience, I am sooooo glad I got to go!!

Cant wait to hear this album!

oh pfft grow up, seriously , brad likes indie.."oh dear im worred again"

just buy it and listen to it, theres no point worrying over something that hasnt happened yet.

it sounds quite interesting, the various changes in styles, there is little mike influence, which i spose is a result of them casting aside the whole hip hop/nu metal thing...mike singing gets me interested, cause he is a good singer, watching him live in his fort minor days and his backing with chazzy is very good, so this should make it quite interesting.

brads hair...ahaha, his hair does look fricken massive, even on the album cover, he must take really good care of it. overall the review is quite positive, and a special special edition with alot of artwork??? omg...i cant believe i ordered the special edition...i woulda ordered the art one if id known! 50k...seems a lil steep...=P

I'm really interested in the path LP is taking. I mean... When an artist sticks to the same sound all the time it literally kills him. Artists should be creative and keen on experimenting and stuff. I was never particularly fond of too much rapping in the songs anyway, I remember hearing Mike singing in P5hng Me A*wy during Live in Texas and my jaw dropped. I was like 'it's such a pity he doesn't sing more instead of rapping all the time'. Anyway I love WID, it's evident that LP's sound has matured considerably and that's natural. THEY themselves have matured, they're not kids anymore just wanting to rap and make noise. Their view of life has changed and this is reflected in their music. I admire them for this turn and it wouldn't surprise me if Minutes to Midnight turned out to be a classic album. I respect the fact that some people are not happy with the idea that LP might not sound as "hard" as they used to, still I suggest you all wait and listen to the album before getting officially disappointed, you never know...;)

I'm definately liking the sound of this album more and more lol
I just hope I don't get my hopes up too high, killing my opinion of what may be a very fresh and massive album

anyway, I'm definately looking forward to that Metallica old school track

I feel a bit nervous after having read this. Mike I felt is what defined LP as, LP. But seeing as how they want to change there angles, I understand the change. I also heard on FreeFM they are handing out the Album today, to one person. So I can't wait.

Other than the very little Mike part, I'm excited. But I'd love to hear Mike's singing. Chester once said that he wasn't a good rapper himself, but Mike actually had a good voice. =P

It had been confirmed..."almost zero hip-hop," this is what I was afraid of. Oh well, it's all good. I still can't wait for the album release because Linkin Park is still Linkin Park. Atleast we've got 2 tracks with Mike rapping. I'm also curious to hear Mike's singing.

We have 3 out of 12 that Mike is materially present... lol, he's gone from like 50% down to 25% of LP's vocalist. D: I wished we'd hear more of him though... even though he'd be playing instruments...

Back