Office 2010 : Install fails with "Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name:...

A

Alistg

I have a scenario where a machine (which previously had Office 2003 on it - but which was remvoed before the Office 2010 install) refuses to intall office.
What should be a trivial installation is simply not working and proving a complete PITA to get to the bottom of!
The install fails with the following error in the event log:
"Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010.
Product Version: 14.0.4763.1000. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603
"
I can see that 1603 = "Fatal error during installation"
(not very helpful !)
When the install fails, Office dosn't show up in Add/Remove programs and I have to run the cleanup tool to remove it from here:
290301 : How do I uninstall Office 2003, Office 2007 or Office 2010 suites if I cannot uninstall it from Control Panel?
I've also removed all directories and registry entries and the installation still fails.
I'm struggling to know what else to try in order to get this working (i.e. just install the product!)
My "guess" is that other software components on this machine "may" be stopping the install from working correctly, but the installation / errors coming back are extremly unhelpful in terms of pinpointing the root cause.
Anyone else seen this / know how to troublesghoot fruther / resolve?
Thanks
- AL
(As a side-note - why isn't the removal tool included with Office 2010 rather than as a seperate download ?!
Ok - I can see /unisntall - but I think there shoudl be a "/uninstall all" to force a removal in a sceanrio like this)

Continue reading...

Back