Options for Changing SATA Mode on Boot Drive with XP Already Installed

V

Voltron-IU

Hello:

I have a working XP Pro (SP3) system that is functioning, perfectly. However, it was built with the system SATA storage controller set to IDE, instead of AHCI or RAID. The following Microsoft KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976) describes a method that allows one to change the SATA storage controller mode from IDE to either AHCI (my preference in this example) or RAID, WITHOUT reinstalling the operating system; however, the method is only good for Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7. Since these operating systems support AHCI and RAID SATA modes, natively, unlike Microsoft Windows XP, my assumption is that this is why Microsoft has not included a workaround for this issue, with Microsoft Windows XP. So, my question is does anyone know of a workaround for this particular issue, when one is using Microsoft Windows XP? I would love to change this system’s SATA storage controller mode from IDE to AHCI; but, I prefer to do it, WITHOUT reinstalling the operating system. Thank you for your input.

Continue reading...

Back