Penny - The LPFs

woodyloveslinkin

aka Gloomy Mushroom
Okay new episode. New characters though but still having some old characters included. :yes:

9.30 a.m.

It was another day at the office for the woman who wore her red curly hair down and wore a black business suit. Her heels clicked against the slippery floor as she passed a number of people in the corridor. She held in one hand a number of manilla folders that included important documents and pictures of criminals. She smiled at a couple of people that she knew passing her in the opposite direction but she didn't speak a word to them. She just continued on walking and carrying on with her normal routine. She arrived in her office a short time after seeing those people that she knew and first thing she did, was to reach for the lights. For her office was as dark as the night in the daytime and even darker at nighttime. The sun didn't shine in on her office at all which made it frustrating at times. The lights flickered on and off for a couple of seconds and eventually remained on without a disturbance.
She sighed as she closed her office door behind her and then started to make her way to her office chair. She sat down at the chair and placed the files that she had previously been carrying around everywhere in front of her. She bent down to the floor, just where the CPU of her computer was and turned her computer on from there. She sat back up straight and opened the manilla folders. She looked at the first page. It was another report of a crime that had been solved about twenty-four hours ago and it was her duty to read over it and pass it on to the next person who would eventually hand it to the big bosses of the government agency that she worked for. It was a demanding job for Sarah and there had been many times that she swore she had given up faith in believing that this was the right job for her to be in. She removed her eyes from the front page of the report and looked to the golden picture frame in front of her.
There stood Tyler and her, Tai, she called him, her partner, not in crime, but in a relationship. It had been about four months since he was deployed to the Middle East to fight in this "War of Terror". They had only been together for several months and already she could see this relationship faltering. They had met on an assignment some time before they started to have feelings for one another. It was involving the US Army, an area that Sarah wishes never to face again because of their ignorance and lack of respect towards FBI and everything the agency stood for, as always. However, that only occurred amongst the highest ranking officers, the soldiers like Tai, were the nice ones that told the FBI everything that they knew, even stuff they would get in trouble from their commanding officers.
There was a knock at the door.
"Yeah, come in on," said Sarah, as she looked to see who would come through the door.
"It's only me," replied Rob, as he stepped through Sarah's door and nicely dressed in a business suit that looked daggy on him. The rolled up sleeves and the crinkled shirt told Sarah he couldn't care less about ironing his wardrobe. "How's it going, Lee?" It had been several months since the last case that they had worked together on which resulted in the Houston coroner taking her own life and leaving Rob with a daughter he never knew he had. Ever since then Sarah had been keeping low and working on low range cases.
"Not too bad, Agent Harris," answered Sarah. "Do you want to a seat or are you still too stubborn to accept such an offer?"
"No thanks," answered Rob. "I'm just in the neighbourhood and I thought I am better off making this quick. You've got a new partner in crime, Lee."
"Who could it be this time?" asked Sarah. "I hope I'm not training up some silly rookie."
"Rookie's aren't allowed on the Files, and you should know that," Rob explained. "His name's Pete and he's going to be in here in a hour's time so you've got an hour to improve your manners towards him."
"Why do I know that name?" asked Sarah, frowning. "I know that name too well. I hope he's not that guy who's always transferring across departments all the time. Is he?" Rob nodded. "So what makes you so sure that this little bugger's going to be up to dealing with the Files?"
"Because I have faith in him and faith is one thing you should always rely on when in doubt," answered Rob.
"Faith got you in places where you shouldn't have been and here you are praising faith as if it's some sort of magically healing power?" asked Sarah, frowning again. "Strange, these things, don't you think?"
"Are you going to do it peacefully or am I going to force you to take on this new partner and then make his life a living hell?" asked Rob. "In which case, you make his life a single hell and I get a complaint about you from anyone including Pete, and you'll be back in front of the committee. Am I clearly understood Agent Lee?" Sarah nodded.
"On a lighter note, how's Matilda and how's the new thing with being her father going?" asked Sarah.
"Don't even ask about it, being a parent is harder than what I thought it would be," answered Rob. "But don't worry about me. I'm not on a sinking boat just yet."
"I'm glad to hear that," commented Sarah. "So when does this newbie arrive?"
"He's not a newbie, as you would put it, he's had dealings with several departments just like you," objected Rob.
"Yeah, because he gets booted out a lot," commented Sarah. "Look, don't go and blame me if he can't hold his ground in this area of the FBI. If he thinks we're playing checkers right now Rob, I'm playing chess."
"Just do it, or else," warned Rob. "I'm not here to play games with you Agent Lee, in fact, I think that's the last thing either of us need right now. He's going to be here soon so that'll give you time to try and find your manners."
"I left my manners at home," commented Sarah, blankly.
"Then go home for the day and find them!" snapped Rob, impatiently, as he slammed the office door shut and disappeared out of site.
Sarah had a feeling that this new partner of hers, wasn't going to be all cracked up to be as Rob had described him to be. But Sarah knew again, Rob's best friend was exaggeration. Sarah shrugged at her own thoughts and went back to looking at the cover page of the reports she had on her desk.

There you go Nailz.

10.20 am

It was a hectic day for the Agent so far as he had been running around non-stop trying to get some matters resolved and as for a little break, he had decided to take a short break. But before he could do so he had to check up on one person. He walked down the busy corridors of his workplace while chomping on a red apple he had packed at home originally for his daughter but he was quick to notice that she didn't take it along to school with the prepared lunch that he had to spare five minutes out of his busy morning to prepare.
"Ah just the person I'm looking for," he said as he swallowed his apple and glared at the woman in front of him. "Seen the new guy yet?"
"No not yet," answered Sarah, as she noticed that an army personnal was standing behind one of her bosses. "He's probably gone for a dip in the nearest well so he couldn't turn up for work. Call him productive."
"Stop the bitchiness," he ordered. "And that's a direct order. Disobey and prepare to face the consequences of such actions. Are we understood Agent Lee?" Sarah wasn't looking at Rob but was looking at the woman behind Rob. Sarah looked back at Rob and pointed to the woman behind him.
"Who are you?" asked Sarah. Rob followed Sarah's pointing finger and turned around. Rob's expression changed as he looked at the concerned personnal. "And what can we help you with." Sarah withdrew her pointing finger and stood her ground.
"Sargent Nailz Ma'am," answered the woman. "I'm looking for Agent Lee."
"On what grounds?" asked Rob.
"Which base are you from?" asked Sarah.
"The Phoenix Air Base, Arizona," answered Nailz.
"What is your business with Agent Lee?" asked Rob.
"That is strictly confidental and that is between the Army and the Agent, Sir," answered Nailz. Sarah noticed how neat her brown hair was tied back and how neat her outfit was. She must've looked like the Queen compared to how Rob was dressed today, Sarah remarked to herself.
"I am Agent Lee," Sarah came forward. She drew out her FBI badge to assure the sargent that she was telling the truth. The army personnal nodded and was now convinced that Sarah was telling the truth. She put her badge away. She frowned as she had a feeling this was about Tai. "What does the army want with me?"
"I'll let you get on with it, and I'll go find Pete, wherever he is," said Rob, as he detached himself from the conversation knowing that it must be something serious.
"There's been strange things happening at our base in Phoenix, Ma'am and we got told that you're the person to go to when strange things happen," answered Nailz.
"Like what?" asked Sarah. "Here take a walk with me and then you can explain what's happening." Sarah and the army personnal started to take a walk inside the busy corridor. "Shoot. Anything you say to me will probably not surprise me."
"There's been strange things happening," Nailz repeated. "Every time we see this little girl on the base, something bad happens."
"How so?" asked Sarah.
"Last night at 1700 hours we had a serious malfunction in the air traffic control office which led to several planes being grounded and several others being destroyed in mid-air collisions," explained Nailz. "We can't explain this Agent but we saw the little girl walking around the base at approximately twenty minutes prior to the malfunction."
"What does this little girl look like Sargent?" asked the Agent.
"Ah, black hair, looks about ten or so, white dress and walks around with no shoes on or socks on," answered Nailz. "The other times that she has been sighted other things have occurred. Three of our soldiers went missing in routine training session and six of our pilots went off our radars in again, routine training sessions. What is happening to our army, Agent?" They both stopped in the corridor and looked at one another. The army personnal wore a confused face but the Agent wore a stern face. "So what are you thinking Agent?"
"Do you want an honest answer to that?" asked Sarah.
"I would prefer it," answered Nailz.
"I'm thinking that this is some kind of omen, apparition, and this is Rob's area, dealing with cultural dealings," answered Sarah. "I don't think Pete will be up for this case to be honest."
"Who...?" asked Nailz, looking a bit confused by all the names.
"Don't worry," Sarah shook it off. She would rather work with Rob on this case then this new guy that has failed to show up.
"How quickly do you think you can get over to our base, Agent?" asked Nailz.
"As soon as my new partner shows up and then we'll get over there," answered Sarah. "I got reassigned a new partner who seems like he's taking a decade to walk a couple of paces. Unless of course, he has a good reason for being so slow." Sarah smiled as Nailz wasn't that sure of this Agent's niceness and capability to handle such a case. "Why did the army ask for my involvement?"
"Because they said you're the one to go to when things go bump in the night," answered Nailz, as Sarah smiled a bit and retracted the smile quickly. "They are right....right, Ma'am?"
"Just call me Agent, none of this Ma'am crap," answered Sarah. "I've got a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of each other from now on."
"Yes...Agent," agreed Nailz.

Oooh, I'm from Arizona...maybe that's an omen and I'll go there when I move out...*cough* getting carried away here... :D

12 p.m.

"Agent Harris, is that you?" came an unfamaliar voice in front of Rob as he was at his desk signing important release documents for certain things to go ahead. Including several media releases of statements made by witnesses in some other cases that Sarah had no involvement in whatsoever. He looked up through his glass and smiled. "Sorry I was late. I had to do last minute transfer details at admin. That's all."
"Good Agent Dea, I hope everything is cleared out by now," smiled Rob weakly. He was hungry and he was stressed out from doing his job as not only as a high ranking Agent but as a new father to Matilda. "Here take a seat and I'll explain you some things that you need to know." Rob surveyed the new Agent as he took a seat in front of him. Blonde hair in a loose shirt that had its sleeves rolled up and he couldn't help but to notice how tight his blonde hair had been tied back as well. "Well, as you know it you've got a new partner in crime."
"Yeah, and I've been hearing a lot of negative things about her," replied the Agent, swiftly. "Is that a good sign?"
"You just have to be patient with her, that's the key to success," Rob explained the Agent's query. "Just say she's determined."
"To do what exactly?" asked the Agent.
"To do her job as precisely and quickly as she can do it," answered Rob. "Now Pete, you might've heard you've already got a case on your hands. Let me explain something to you about the Files, they are weird and they are not always everybody's cup of tea. If you have any complaints against Sarah, I say go for it and tell me. But brace yourself for this department, not even logic can really help you in times to come. Use of your senses and being aware what is around you, is always needed. And always explore the impossible, because the Files make everything come plausible. Any questions so far Pete?"
"Yeah, where is she?" asked Pete.
"Right here," answered the Agent who had been standing in Rob's doorway for a number of seconds now with plane tickets in her hands. Pete turned around, smiled weakly and got to his feet. He walked over to Sarah and offered to shake her hand, but she refused to shake his hand. "Agent Lee, right?"
"Just call me Sarah," retorted Sarah. "Come on Dea, I've heard too much about you and not enough seeing what you can do. Are you prepared to take on the job of being involved with the Linkin Park Files?" Pete nodded. "I don't believe you."
"Why not?" asked Pete, looking a bit confused.
"Because I haven't seen for myself what you can do," answered Sarah. "Are you coming along?"
"Where are we going?" asked Pete.
"Phoenix, Arizona," answered Sarah. "There have been reported apparition sightings that always result in some sort of disaster happening and I am not liking the sound of that. As in, there has to be more than meets the eye in this case."
"Alright, I'm in," agreed Pete.
"There was no agreeing here, Agent, you come or you lose your job, it's as simple as that," retorted Sarah, as she gave Rob a sharp look and then looked back to her new partner. "I don't know about you, but I have to leave the state in two hours to go to Arizona."
"As do I, Agent," Pete added.
"Then why are you still standing there waiting for something to happen?" asked Sarah. Pete didn't say anything, already he could see what kind of attitude he was up against. "Well, i am waiting here patiently Agent Dea and quite frankly, time is wasting away."
"Okay then, right, let's go," Pete tried to sound positive but Sarah saw right through him. He exhaled deeply and left the room. Sarah turned to Rob and gave him a sharp look.
"I can't believe you would put me with someone so..." Sarah trailed off in her sentence.
"Charming?" Rob guessed. Sarah pouted as though Rob had just insulted her. Rob looked to her innocently. "Well, isn't he?"
"Oh please, stop with this facade Rob, it's making me want to choke in my own vomit," requested Sarah, as she didn't know that Pete was just a couple of metres away, beside the open door. He didn't know what to think or even what to say just in case he did something wrong or said something that was considered out of line in her books.
"Look, the guy is new, cut him some slack at least," Rob tried to get through to Sarah. "You have a plane to catch to the other side of the country and you need to be there soon or we're going to start having major disasters with our airforce, well, at least what Nailz has told me. Just, quit your hard ass act Lee, I'm kinda sick of it." He looked to his watch and then looked back to Sarah. "Come on, time is getting away from us fast and I have things to do and other people to hear bitchy complaints from. You know. it's just not you that I have to hear whinge and complain about things that don't go their way?" Sarah looked like she had more to say but Rob just smiled knowing that he had just put her in her place.
"I'm off," she muttered, as Rob didn't do anything but merely waved goodbye to her as she turned around and left the office. She stopped as she saw her new partner, Pete, standing there, looking like he had something to say but he was too afraid to say it. "Come on. While we're still young." Sarah continued to walk down the hallway of the building and Pete caught up to her, as she was walking fast.
"Can I ask you a question?" asked Pete.
"Why do I have a feeling this is going to be another waste of my breath and my time?" asked Sarah. "I don't know about you, but I've got an investigation to start and whether you want to help me or not, is entirely up to you. It's your job on the line not mine."
"Are you single?" asked Pete and Sarah automatically stopped. Pete stopped as well. The look on Sarah's face was as though Pete had offended her.
"Why do you care if I am or if I'm not?" asked Sarah.
"Maybe that's why you're so aggressive all the time, you know, lack of company," answered Pete.
"Are you seriously expecting me to answer that question honestly, to a rookie investigator who I've only just met and I've already concluded that I don't like you?" asked Sarah. "Go back to your momma's house and return to the FBI when you're an adult, kid."
"Hey, I might be a rookie investigator, but don't underestimate the power of my brain," argued Pete. "Because at the start, weren't you a rookie once upon a time?" Sarah didn't say anything and continued walking. Pete smiled. "Yeah that shut you down, didn't it?" He had a feeling Sarah would eventually get back at him for giving her that much cheek.​
****​

I think Pete wanna watch his backside giving lip like that.
One thing I'll say about your style of writing. If I'm a queen of the melodramatic then you're a queen for bighting sarcasm. All your characters you've ever written have the same kind of haughty attitude. If they were real life characters I don't think any of them would have their jobs very long - let alone partners or relationships. But having said that it can be amusing at times. I just think there are appropriate times for sarcasm and other times you could... use something less abbrasive.
All good.

Back