Politics - McChrystal speaks up one too many times

N

NewsBot

McChrystal speaks up one too many times
.By ANNE FLAHERTY 2010-06-23T07:03:24ZWASHINGTON (AP) -- Gen. Stanley McChrystal was put in charge of a drifting war in Afghanistan in part because he wasn't afraid to speak up. That quality may prove to be his downfall as President Barack Obama decides whether to fire him....© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

View the full article

Last edited:
I've got a bit of a theory on this.

I think McCrystal might have wanted to be relieved of his command.

McCrystal was just in the process of designing and planning a big offensive. I think that maybe while planning it, he realized that because Obama didn't give him what he asked for, to successfully complete his plan, he isn't able to accomplish his goals.

Once he was certain that he can't do what he wanted with the resources the President gave him and next to no help Obama was able to get from allies, he doesn't want to be left holding the bag, and blamed for the failure in Afghanistan.

A four star General of his caliber isn't a stupid person and knew that any reporter from the left wing, anti-war, Rolling Stone magazine would make the most his comments and purposely made them in his presence.

Just a theory.

You might be on to something Joe.

There was really very little real quotes from the General, all of the really harsh sounding stuff came from other staff in reaction to what they thought was happening. If you actually read the entire article, you see that McCrystal was very careful to not openly say anything specific against anyone.

A great General would know how to possition himself for a relatively "safe" exit if he really knew he could not win the objective with the resources at hand.

Interesting idea Joe, I did not consider that possibility.

Now you watch Gen. Petraeus will ask for more troops too. It's a darn good thing we have good Generals like him to take over.

Back