Problem with Installing XP Service Packs, IE8, and Security Essentials

C

contegoman

I have recently had to reinstall XP on a laptop which got a nasty virus. I did a clean quck reformat of the drive using the backup disk supplied with the computer. (The exhaustive reformat stalled at 14% so had to use the quick reformat.) I then installed XP with SP2 from the same disk. Next, I installed the hardware drivers and BIOS upgrade recommended by Dell. OK so far. I had internet access through IE6 and all fundamental programs with XP SP2 seemed to work fine. I then wanted to install SP3. I went through a couple of cycles with Windows Update. I recall one cycle with ~74 updates. One item was IE8 which would not install as it wouldn't pass the "Malicious Software" check in the install process. Later, it downloaded but would not install SP3. I did download and run the Malicious Software program but with a clean result. Next to fail to install was Security Essentials. I even attempted to install McAfee 2012, but that also failed. Any ideas why I am not able to install these programs and especially SP3?
Thanks in advance for any assitance.

Continue reading...

Back