Problem with upgrading Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

R

rlbuzz

I have been trying to upgrade my Vista Home Premium 64-bit computer to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with no success. On the compatibility test 2 incidents came up 1) was told that imaging device HP Scanjet 4600 might not work correctly. Equipment is not connected to computer and all files that I could find have been uninstalled. 2) was told that Windows 7 might not work correctly with Microsoft JVM. After looking over files I could not find anything listed under Microsoft JVM. I am assuming that even if there was a problem with these files it would not affect the installation of Windows 7. I am using a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit full retail version that was originally downloaded from the vendor as an ISO file and burned to DVD with a program called ImgBurn. I have attempted to select the option to upgrade rather than do a clean install in order to preserve my installed programs, but when that failed I also tried the clean install with the same results. Installation proceeds normally, checks for updates, and then starts to "copy Window installation files to your computer". When it reaches 22% it abruptly jumps to 100% and shows the following message "Upgrade Cancelled. Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070241. I get the same results whether I choose upgrade or full install. Thinking that I might have a defective DVD, I reburned another DVD at a slower speed. Nothing. I contacted the vendor and he sent me a DVD which he assured me was good. Nothing again. I have a secondary 500GB hard drive which is empty. I tried the installation on that drive as suggested by the vendor. Nothing. No matter what the process I always get to the same 22% with the same message. I have been attempting to install without formatting the hard drive as the Microsoft instructions said it was not necessary and I have not attempted to change the boot up order of my computer again because the Microsoft instructions did not suggest it. Would that make a difference? I would much prefer to chose the "upgrade" option even though the "full installation" option is also offered, but would do the full installation if absolutely necessary. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Computer specs
HP m9180f
Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66 GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
64-bit Operating System
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2

Continue reading...

Back