Protected content migration password

S

sydney_snowy

Hello - I have seen this issue raised a number of times here and elsewhere over several years without a definitive solution. Thought I would try my hand!
I used Windows Easy Transfer to save user data to an external hard drive prior to re-installing Windows 7 from scratch on the same hardware and using the same operating system, Windows 7 Home 32-bit. No user accounts had passwords. No password on the WET file.
User data was successfully restored using WET.
On logging in to each of the user accounts I was asked to provide a password to allow protected content migration. None of the users had previously had passwords but the dialogue box returned an error when attempting to enter this. Subsequently, I cancelled out of the dialogue as I was unable to successfully enter a password.
The consequence of this is that some of the user data is inaccessible. Specifically data in C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Roaming that should be present, is not. Specifically, the data that is missing is all the user profile information and emails for a Mozilla Thunderbird installation.
Any assistance which allows me to access that "missing" data would be gratefully and humbly accepted!

Continue reading...

Back