Rehabbing Woods rules himself out of U.S. Open

S

Sports News

(Reuters) - Three-times champion Tiger Woods has ruled himself out of next month's U.S. Open at Pinehurst in North Carolina as he recovers from back surgery, the second successive major championship he will miss this year. The former world number one has been sidelined from competitive golf since late March after requiring treatment for a pinched nerve in his back that had troubled him for months, and was unable to compete at the Masters in April. "Unfortunately, I won't be there because I'm not yet physically able to play competitive golf," Woods said in a statement on his website on Wednesday, referring to the June 12-15 U.S. Open. Despite missing the first two majors (this year), and several other important tournaments, I remain very optimistic about this year and my future." This will be the sixth major championship missed by Woods due to injury, and he remains stuck on his career tally of 14 wins, having not clinched one of golf's blue riband events since the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines.

Continue reading...

Attachments

• 5db01a4d569501d87ce0923ad2d7b375.jpg
    5db01a4d569501d87ce0923ad2d7b375.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 7
Back