Roaming Profiles - Windows 7 - Server 2008

P

pricetech

I've read everything I can find on the subject, but it's just not working. Here's what I have;
Server 2008 at Server 2003 domain functional level since I have branch DCs running 2k3.
Windows 7 Professional on the desktop, fully updated and sysprepped copying the default administrator's profile to the default.
Joining the domain works and all the policies I have in place are working and I have no trouble logging in as a domain user.
Roaming profiles, however, simply aren't working. The documentation I've read (official) tells me to create the profiles share (mine is called "profiles_v2" and give Aunthenticated Users (or Everyone, depending on which documentation you read) full control of the share. This has been done. Everyone also has full control of the folder itself.
Next create the user and on the profile tab, point to \\server\share\username which has also been done.
Log in as the user, on the workstation and make any adjustments wanted or needed, then log off. Here's where it starts to sound wierd.
According to the documentation, the profile should be created on the server when I log off the workstation. This just isn't happening. Nothing gets created. I read that several times and it reads the same every time, so I don't think I'm misreading it.
However, just in case I was, I manually copied the profile to the server which gave me an error that the profile couldn't be found and a temporary profile was being used.
I copied a second time using a third party utility (windows enabler) which resulted in partial success in that the profile would load from the server, but any changes made would not upload upon logging out.
I don't mind reading if someone can point me to a comprehensive howto. I suspect it's some "little thing" that the documentation leaves out that's keeping it from working, I just don't know where that "little thing" is.
Thanks in advance for reading the post and any help you can offer.

Continue reading...

Back