Security Essentials Icon keeps disappearing from Task Bar notification area

D

Dave2UisDave2Me

I have recently remediated a Dell Dimension 9150 PC that was infected with a couple of adware viruses [Adware.Vundo variant + Adware.ISTBar] and an adware Trojan [Trojan.Agent/Gen-Malen]. The O/S running on the system is Windows XP-SP3 Home Edition. Microsoft Security Essentials Version 2.1.1116.0 has been installed and is up to date.
I used several different antimalware scanners to identify, isolate and remove the malware [including Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and a custom ComboFix tool]. I believe the system has been successfully disinfected since the scanning logs from various antimalware scanners have found no malware for several days now.
However, after twice uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Security Essentials as the primary real-time antivirus protection on the system, I notice that the icon that initially appears in the notification area of the task bar keeps disappearing within 24 hours. The MSE user interface is still accessible from the Start Menu and Desktop shortcut, updates are downloaded automatically (and manually when triggered) and scans report no malware present. Moreover, there is no detectable adverse behaviour on the system.
I would like to determine if there is a registry setting that is causing the Microsoft Security Essentials icon to vanish from the notification area of the task bar or if this a "normal" functionality for this application.
Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Dave2U

Continue reading...

Back