So what are your movie tastes?

Chi

As for me, like with books, I lean almost completely to non-fiction or very well-written true to life stuff. I don't know, I feel lied to or like I'm wasting my time with unrealistic non-fiction and fantasy stuff. The only type of imagination type stuff that I like is cool futuristic scenario stuff or it has to be hilarious to look past the fact that it's very unrealistic.

Let's see, the last movie that I watched from my Netflix que was Ghost World which was today. I've seen that movie once before, but I find it funny and it reminds me of the high jinx stuff that my then best friend and I used to pull when we were bored as teens.

Looking at my que, from the movies that I picked - I like a lot of stand-up comedy (Chris Rock is my fave, George Lopez, Gabriel Iglesias, Wanda Sykes...) One of Ellen Degeneres stand-up is next. I've never seen her stand-up before, has anyone here? If it sucks, please warn me so that I don't waste my time and movie.

I watched the Best of Comedy Central (2007) and it freaken sucked!!! I had to skip over all of the "comedians" besides 1 maybe 2 it sucked so bad!!! And I thought Dane Cook was supposed to be funny - ?? He's an idiot! I saw a lot of theatrics, but no real funny substance. The ONLY guy that I liked out of the whole thing was Jim Gaffigan, who I've never heard of before. And Carlos Mencia was mediocre.

I also like a lot of documentaries, old movies and foreign films. Not cheesy foreign films, but interesting ones that have to be really good and catch my attention to look past having to read subtitles. I like stuff like La Vita e Bella (Life is Beautiful), Amores Perros, Midaq Alley, etc.

Some of the movies I would like to see are Milk, The Reader and The Wrestler. Anyone see those yet? Liked/disliked?

Alright, enough of my rambling (I can't sleep right now), what kind of movies do you guys/ladies like?

I like to watch documentaries at home. I love war movies and can't wait to go to Tom Cruse's "Valkyrie". It's a story of just one of the many attempts on Hitlers life. The problem is my wife and son aren't interested so I either go alone or find a friend.

I love comedy and stand up. those sound pretty good Chi!

One of my favorite sitcoms is King of Queens so it stands to reason that I want to see Paul Blart in "Mall Cop". That's got to be funny.

Jim Carrey cracks me up and I loved Bruce Almighty also with Jennifer Aniston (Speaking of which I think I need to add her to my JustBS harem.:rolleyes:)
The last movie I went to that was just the other week was Jim Carrey in the "Yes Man" It was kinda like "Liar Liar" but much much better. Very funny and a must see.

"Night at the Museum" with Ben Stiller and an extremely well know cast was another great movie and I'm expecting to see "Night at the Museum Battle at the Smithsonian" soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ68xGQkQXE"]YouTube - Night at the Museum 2 Official Trailer HQ[/ame]

I love a good comedy, and stupid humor can be just the most hilarious stuff on the planet.

of course, it can also go to far. m I love Airplane, Hot Shots, Spaceballs (pretty much any Mel Brooks movie) but some o fhte more recent "stupid" comedy movies have been filled with little else than potty humor (Scary Movie, Date Movie, etc)

boo on these.

I also really get into the superhero movies of late. X-Men, Iron Man, of course Transformers (even though it wasn't that great of a plot- I love seeing my favorite toys from my childhood come to life on the bog screen!)

Chi said:
As for me, like with books, I lean almost completely to non-fiction or very well-written true to life stuff. I don't know, I feel lied to or like I'm wasting my time with unrealistic non-fiction and fantasy stuff. The only type of imagination type stuff that I like is cool futuristic scenario stuff or it has to be hilarious to look past the fact that it's very unrealistic.

If I may- How do you feel about non-fiction events being put into a fiction movie? Like Titanic- True story with fictional stuff added in? This bugs me (and may have done a post over yonder about this) when they take a real life event and dramatize it to make a "better story" out of it. grrrrrrrrrr

I rarely get excited about movies anymore. They rely so much on CGI that good plots, stories and acting have been all but forgotten.

Some of my personal favorites:

1) Airplane and others with humor of that ilk.

2) Sixteen Candles - I'll always love this movie. I can't help it.

3) Lord of the Rings trilogy - lots of CGI but soooo good. I was recently told that the book would eclipse the movie in greatness so that is on my personal "to read" list.

4) The Ten Commandments - love this movie. Yul Brynner is hot!

5) The Magnificent Seven - when men were men.

6) Blades of Glory - I don't know why it cracks me up so hard, but it does.

7) Dune - I could watch this over and over.

8) Officer and a Gentleman - someday I'll have that ending....

9) The Sound of Music - laugh if you want to. It's one of my favorites!

10) Spinal Tap - "This one goes to 11"

11) Monty Python and the Holy Grail - who doesn't love man eating rabbits and shrubbery?

I have more, but I'm too tired to think of them right now.

snafu said:
I like to watch documentaries at home. I love war movies and can't wait to go to Tom Cruse's "Valkyrie". It's a story of just one of the many attempts on Hitlers life. The problem is my wife and son aren't interested so I either go alone or find a friend.

Ooh, we have something in common, I like war documentaries, too!:) I wanted to see Valkyrie, too. Let me know how it is:) I also want to check out "The World at War" DVD collection. It's funny because I am against war unless it is absolutely necessary, but I can sit there and watch all that depressing, gory crap. I watched Saving Private Ryan a few times (I usually don't watch movies more than once). I also watched the whole series of Band of Brothers back to back in 1 or 2 days.

snafu said:
One of my favorite sitcoms is King of Queens so it stands to reason that I want to see Paul Blart in "Mall Cop". That's got to be funny.

I also like King of Queens, but have seen every episode a zillion times that I wouldn't mind for it to be replaced very soon. I also like Kevin James and Jim Carrey:) So you say "Yes Man" is much, much better than "Liar Liar", huh? I may have to see it now then... I first thought it was a sequel to "Liar Liar" since it seemed so similar to it.

eddo said:
If I may- How do you feel about non-fiction events being put into a fiction movie? Like Titanic- True story with fictional stuff added in? This bugs me (and may have done a post over yonder about this) when they take a real life event and dramatize it to make a "better story" out of it. grrrrrrrrrr

I don't mind it that much when it is done realistically and well. Like "Saving Private Ryan", it is inspired by true events, but the story is not so bad even though it's made up. I would have definitely preferred a true story of events though.

Ugh, and I hate, HATE Titanic. So unrealistic and corny - blegh! Tell me, who's going to leave their handsome, rich fiance' for a bummy loser, that looks like a little boy? Also, who's going to fall so head over heels in love with someone in such a short amount of time and give their life up for them? And I could go on, but maybe I'm just jaded and bitter:p

Ali said:
I rarely get excited about movies anymore. They rely so much on CGI that good plots, stories and acting have been all but forgotten.

Some of my personal favorites:

1) Airplane and others with humor of that ilk.

2) Sixteen Candles - I'll always love this movie. I can't help it.

3) Lord of the Rings trilogy - lots of CGI but soooo good. I was recently told that the book would eclipse the movie in greatness so that is on my personal "to read" list.

4) The Ten Commandments - love this movie. Yul Brynner is hot!

5) The Magnificent Seven - when men were men.

6) Blades of Glory - I don't know why it cracks me up so hard, but it does.

7) Dune - I could watch this over and over.

8) Officer and a Gentleman - someday I'll have that ending....

9) The Sound of Music - laugh if you want to. It's one of my favorites!

10) Spinal Tap - "This one goes to 11"

11) Monty Python and the Holy Grail - who doesn't love man eating rabbits and shrubbery?

I have more, but I'm too tired to think of them right now.

I haven't seen most of these, but I like The Ten Commandments:) I like those kinds of movies, I watched Ben Hur not too long ago.

Chi said:
I also like King of Queens, but have seen every episode a zillion times that I wouldn't mind for it to be replaced very soon. I also like Kevin James and Jim Carrey:) So you say "Yes Man" is much, much better than "Liar Liar", huh? I may have to see it now then... I first thought it was a sequel to "Liar Liar" since it seemed so similar to it.

I love King of Queens. the humor is predictable, the acting isn't that great, but fat guy marries a super hot wife??? I am all over that idea!! :)

Jerry Stiller is a riot on King of Queens.

Valkyrie was a very good movie, and gave some very good insight into a story that I had only slightly heard about before. Good stuff.

I love non-fiction too, like James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars. I also enjoy watching comedy films of Jim Carrey.:)

mces0421 said:
I love non-fiction too, like James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars. I also enjoy watching comedy films of Jim Carrey.

someone ain't to bright...

Chi said:
Looking at my que, from the movies that I picked - I like a lot of stand-up comedy (Chris Rock is my fave, George Lopez, Gabriel Iglesias, Wanda Sykes...) One of Ellen Degeneres stand-up is next. I've never seen her stand-up before, has anyone here? If it sucks, please warn me so that I don't waste my time and movie.

I finally saw the Ellen Degeneres DVD (Here and Now it's called.) It was pretty funny. And she didn't even swear or have to be vulgar.

I saw the new Chris Rock one before that one, Kill the Messenger. That one was pretty funny, too. But like his other stand-up, there is tons of swearing, etc.

So back to my documentary obsession, has anyone seen a good documentary about Howard Hughes? Not the Hollywood Leonardo DiCaprio movie version either. There are so many to choose from, which one is better?

I don't know Chi, but when you find out I'd like to know, too. Sounds interesting!

I bought "A Clockwork Orange" today. I have never seen it!!!!

I'm looking forward to schmoking, watching and getting the munchies.

Ali said:
I don't know Chi, but when you find out I'd like to know, too. Sounds interesting!

That movie is naughty.

Ali said:

I've been meaning to watch that one, too. Tell me how it is. My bf recommends it, but the way he described it, it sounds kinda violent. I don't mind violent if it is at least somewhat relevant to the story.

Ali said:

Oh and I just received Howard Hughes - The Man & The Madness. So I'll let you know how it is after I watch it. Man, Howard Hughes was pretty handsome in his day...

Ali said:

ImWithStupid said:
That movie is naughty.

naughty, and weird as hell...

I tried to watch it once, and just couldn't do it.

Back