Soccer Thread part 2

Hazi[LP]Tonz

ok i thought id bring the soccer thread back since the other ones basically dead, im sure alot of people watch soccer....feel free to discuss ANYTHING to do with soccer

anyways, FA community shield was played yesterday, and manchester United prevailed over Chelsea in a typical,basically drama-less, suspense filled game. what the game lacked in fire works or brilliant football, it made up for with the drama and hype. the crowd was true by-partisan, you could cut it in half and get blue on one end and red in the other.

anyways the game finished MU 1-1 CFC, it went to penalties where Edwin Van Der Saar(much maligned,especially after last seasons FA cup loss and recent patchy form) pulling a HAT-TRICK of penalty saves, MU prevailing 3-0 on penalties after Giggs had opened the score(170th-ish goal for MU) and Florent Malouda's beautiful equaliser. the community shield is MU's 12th and is a record number of community shield wins.Chelseas injury toll is mounting,already without shevchenko,robben,ballack,terry and a host of others, add Florent Malouda to the pile as he was seen clutcing his leg when he was subbed off early on in the second half

there isnt too much other news, Gerard and co. getting into a fight with Feeyonord during a preseason friendly got a few headlines. While ACMilan have captured the signing of 17 year old,30million euro rated brazillian striker Pato, who was also chased by Chelsea,Inter Milan and so on. Real Madrid are putting in a 70million euro package to prise German captain Michael Ballack and Dutch winger Arjen Robben(both injured yesterday) from Chelsea. Also,after months of chsing,United have secured Carlos Tevez,while want-away defender Gabriel heinze has made it clear he wants to switch to arch rivals Liverpool, with both sets of lawyers trying to resolve the matter before this turns out into the same thing as Owen hargreaves and Carlos Tevez ordeals

In A-League News, Milligan has return from Europe to bolstor a depleted Sydney FC team, also the signing of former Brazillian and Middlesborough midfield Juninho lessens the loss of David Carney to Sheffield United. Adrian leijer, highly rated 21 AUS defender has signed for Fulham in the English Premier League for the next 3 seasons, he joins other youngsters James Troisi(Newcastle) and Neil Kilkenny(Birmingham) currently plying their trade in England alongside Viduka,Kewell etc...A-League season is about to kick off too

feel free to discuss your local league or your favourite team, favourite league, who will win what and so on, EPL season is about to kick off, SPL and french ligue 1 have already kicked off and others are due to follow!!

not that old, it was only yesterday, and yer, my fave team too, reckon we got a chance of taking that UCL cup off Milan this year? while holding off Liverpool,Chelsea,Real madrid,Barcelona?

here to hoping we can win another few trophies!

aint it ironic how i posted that i was wonderng if we could win the UCL this year? and somehow...we did?

wow....

its just...wow

gotta love it, i know i did

to win it like we did...only MU can give u hert palpatations like that, and JUST like 99/00, a brilliant escape act

lemme give you all a lil run down on the history for this season...

-Ryan Giggs equaled Sir Bobby Charlton on appearances AND scored the winning goal against Wigan to seal our 10th English Premier League trophy, out of something like its 18th year the EPL is running and that is a record.
-Ryan Giggs surpassing Sir Bobby Charltons appearance record at the Champions League Final AND scoring the winning penalty(Van der Saar saving Anelkas shot next).
-Paul Scholes, who missed the 99/00 treble UCL cup win due to suspension, got his trophy
-Sir Alex Ferguson being the FIRST ever English manager to win more than 1 UCL trophy(hes the most succesful English manager in HISTORY with i think its 25 trophies now since he took over United)
-Manchester United honoring the Busby Babes and the Munich Air Disaster with a European trophy (It was the Munich Air Disaster anniversary, 60 years this year and 50 years since our FIRST European trophy)
-Christiano Ronaldo won another award(UCL winners medal + MOTM), so far its a clean sweep(hes also on track for European,World Players of the year award as well as Golden Boot)
-Van der Saar winning,yes,WINNING, his FIRST EVER penalty shoot out in a PROPER cup final, same with Ferguson whos last Penalty shoot outs defeat was to Arsenal in the FA Cup a few years back
also the first year that Chelsea,Liverpool AND Arsenal didnt win a SINGLE trophy after United took the FA Community Shield,EPL trophy and UCL tropy, Portsmouth winning the FA Cup and Tottenham eclipsing Chelsea for the Carling Cup
-Giggs,Scholes,Van Der Saar,Ferguson,hargreaves all winning their 2nd UCL medals, Patrice Evra, who missed out when monacco lost out, won his first, as did the rest of their squad

there are prolly others...but these are the main ones

sometimes,football can be cruel, but you hafto agree, the PURE weight of history was on Uniteds side, and sometime fairytales do come true

its wonderful aint it? i havnt stopped celebrating!!!

Back