Sometimes technology sucks.

Ahhlee

How many times is appropriate to call your significant other when you know they are having lunch with friends and it's NOT an emergency?

The reason I ask is because I met up with some of my buddies earlier this week for lunch. One of the fellas has been dating a new lady for about 3 weeks now, and he was on the phone with her while we were walking into the restaurant....no problem.

He finished the conversation and right after we got seated, she called him again. He excused himself for a moment and came back to join us shortly. We began visiting and placed our order with the waitress. His phone rang. He talked to her quietly and briefly at the table this time.

Then all was quiet and we got our food. While we were eating, he got a text message...from her. Then another. And a third. I asked him how things were going with him and Renae and he said they were "okay" but she was "a little needy".

Finally we got to enjoy our food and talk. We had a good 15 minutes without interruption and then she called AGAIN! He excused himself this time and when he came back I could tell by the expression on his face that he was none too pleased.

I don't blame him! If you know your honey is going out meet up with friends, how much do you call them? Be honest!

Bullsh!t. He's just as much at fault as she is. He should sack up and tell her he's busy and he'll call her when he's done and that she shouldn't disturb him unless it's important.

At the very least, he should have just said he'd be out-of-pocket and turn his phone off (if that's possible - don't know his work circumstances).

ImWithStupid said:
Bullsh!t. He's just as much at fault as she is. He should sack up and tell her he's busy and he'll call her when he's done and that she shouldn't disturb him unless it's important.

Actually, if he asked my opinion that's what I would tell him, too.

I don't know exactly what was said between them when he left the table. Perhaps he told her not to disturb him? Ehhh...probably not. The relationship is new and he's still trying to put on his best face yet.

Old Salt said:
At the very least, he should have just said he'd be out-of-pocket and turn his phone off (if that's possible - don't know his work circumstances).

Nope. He needs to set ground rules with her or he'll be putting up with being constantly under her thumb forever.

Old Salt said:

Right! No, it's not like he would be called in on a work emergency. I think he could easily turn his phone off for an hour.

ImWithStupid said:
Nope. He needs to set ground rules with her or he'll be putting up with being constantly under her thumb forever.

I'm sure if she keeps this up, he'll just tag her along for sex for awhile and then break up with her before Christmas so he doesn't have to buy her a gift.

I know how you guys roll. ;)

He should not have to turn off his phone to get her to stop calling him over and over.

IWS is right, he should set the boundries now or forever be subject to this kind of thing.

eddo said:
I wish I had a lady to nag me...

Would you like me to call you at all hours of the day "just to talk" and ask "what are you thinking about?", eddo? :D

Ali said:
Would you like me to call you at all hours of the day "just to talk" and ask "what are you thinking about?", eddo? :D

as long as you don't mind me calling back asking things like:
"What are you wearing?"
"If I bought you a giant tortilla, would you wear it for me?"
"Can I motorboat you tonight?"

or any multitude of cheesy pick up lines. :p

eddo said:
as long as you don't mind me calling back asking things like:
"What are you wearing?"
"If I bought you a giant tortilla, would you wear it for me?"
"Can I motorboat you tonight?"

or any multitude of cheesy pick up lines. :p

Hell, I'd be disappointed if you DIDN'T ask me those things! :p

I don't call at all.

Unless I need him to pick something up. Otherwise my day is full and I'm not interested in checking up. I also do not check his phone or read his emails etc etc. I think I'm really just not that jealous or worried.

If I was that guy I'd have told her to back the F ck off. I freaking hate needy nosy people. How aggravating! I also hate cell phones and I shut them off when dealing in public places. It's rude to be on the fukking phone when the damn waitress is trying to take an order, not to mention to the person you are with. I hate texting too. I'm against technology lol. I hate where it has taken us. You can't see people walking the dog anymore without that fukking hemmorhoid glued to an ear. Geeze people...try interacting!

As for the "What are you thinking about" question? If I wanted you to know I'd fukking say so!!

emkay64 said:
I don't call at all.

Unless I need him to pick something up. Otherwise my day is full and I'm not interested in checking up. I also do not check his phone or read his emails etc etc. I think I'm really just not that jealous or worried.

If I was that guy I'd have told her to back the F ck off. I freaking hate needy nosy people. How aggravating! I also hate cell phones and I shut them off when dealing in public places. It's rude to be on the fukking phone when the damn waitress is trying to take an order, not to mention to the person you are with. I hate texting too. I'm against technology lol. I hate where it has taken us. You can't see people walking the dog anymore without that fukking hemmorhoid glued to an ear. Geeze people...try interacting!

As for the "What are you thinking about" question? If I wanted you to know I'd fukking say so!!

Ditto. Cell phones are for when your car breaks down.

emkay64 said:
I don't call at all.

The only time I ever checked my ex-husband's phone was after I knew for a fact he had been cheating on me and what I found simply confirmed it.

Other than that, I leave well enough alone. I'd rather be alone than be with someone who I feel I need to constantly check up on.

I use my cell for business most of the time, I do have the bluetooth for when I am driving but I think people who walk around with one in their ear all the time are gay, lol.

I have to be accesable to my customers during the day but I do silence it when out with friends or Tami, my phone is not a part of my life, it is a tool, nothing more.

Funny story, at least to me:

Before I met Tami I would sometimes go on a date a friend would set up, I hate those really but I would try to be a good sport and go along.

One of these was a pretty lady who seemed nice enough when I picked her up, but it was difficult even having basic small talk because she was on her phone the whole time from her home, to the car, and when she was still on her phone as we were about to turn into the parking lot for dinner I decided that I had had enough of that and instead turned around and drove her back home.......the funny part is she seemed to not even notice until we were driving on her road again and she had this stupid look on her face as I stopped in front of her house.

A few seconds went by, she hung up her phone but she didn't take the hint, she just sat there so I told her that I thought she was a beautiful woman but I wanted to have a date with a woman, not a cellphone. She was not happy and I got some nevative feedback from the friend who set the date up but I really felt better dropping her off.

Maybe I am old fashioned, but I still believe in exclusive time sharing between two people, at least if your out on a date or something. I was there to give her all my attention, was it really too much to ask for the same in return?

my phone is paid for by work, so it has to stay on all the time.

But I don't have to answer it- unless it is work.

Back