SP1 installs SharePoint & Office Upload Center???

K

KHHemmelman

We have created an "administrative" installation for Office 2010. We specifically did NOT install the Microsoft SharePoint Workspace. We do NOT want this item installed.
After installing SP1, we are frustrated that the Microsoft SharePoint Workspace was installed without our knowledge, ignoring how we had Office 2010 installed via our custom administrative installation. (What was the point of making an administrative installation if the service pack ignores your choices?) I've seen other posts here on this, but I've not seen an acceptable answer about this. Why would SP1 upgrade something that did NOT previously exist and is there a way to tell SP1 to NOT install SharePoint Workspace when it was NOT previously installed? You can go back into the Program features of Office 2010 and manually 'remove' SharePoint after the fact, but this is a real Mickey Mouse way of having to deal with this problem. However, even after removing SharePoint the damage is not done, which leads me to the next paragraph!
Also, after installing SP1, we now have the Microsoft Office Upload Center running in the system tray that we did NOT previously have. Why is this running after installing SP1? We did not have this running before installing SP1 and we do NOT want this item running after installing SP1! Nor do we want the tons of help desk calls we will get regarding problems with this from our users asking why it doesn't work, what is it, or how do they use it, or why are my documents getting sync'd somewhere I didn't authorize, etc, etc, etc.
I saw a comment to remove the BCSSync.exe from starting up in the registry to get rid of the Office Upload Center, but isn't this needed to contact your KMS License Server for continual Office activation and licensing within your network when you're setup to use KMS licensing? Or am I wrong on this? If we remove BCSSync.exe would that break the licensing/activation with the workstation not being able to communicate with the KMS server? If so, how then do you permanently stop the Office Upload Center from running after installing SP1? We uninstalled the SharePoint component from Office 2010 after installing SP1, but the Office Upload Center is still running. We want it gone!

Continue reading...

Back