discovery2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 16
  • discovery3.jpg
    discovery3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 15
  • discovery4.jpg
    discovery4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 17
Save those pics, that is history right there!!

Thanks for sharing them :thumb:

My father is the head engineer at dulles. Hes been there 14 years.

Heres some pics he emailed me this morning. He said he will get more as they switch the shuttle out. they have 55 Semi trucks parked on the tarmac to get this job done.

In case anyone did not know the air and space museum contains a shuttle currently. If it wanted to go to space it is a real working shuttle. It however was never used for a mission only training. When it was placed in 03 it was only as a condition they get this shuttle when the space program ends. Every aircraft in the museum is not a replica but a REAL working ACTUAL plane used for their mission or purpose.

anyways, Here is a few pics from down on the runway as the plane landed.

The first one was on one of its flybys before it was cleared to land... basically a photo opp, you can also see the T-38 which made a landing directly behind the shuttle as it was out of fuel. Normally they land a bit later but this T-38 had to land on the runway adjacent due to no fuel as the shuttle made a couple extra loops today. After the first pic he went down to the tarmac..... can we say super security clearance.... LOL

101_1949-1.jpg

101_1956-1.jpg

101_1957-1.jpg

101_1958-1.jpg

I noticed during the second flyover it was on its own, the first flyover the it wasnt. I work off of Old Ox Road (rt606). Both sides was packed with people pulling over to watch. I also heard 28 was at a stand still. We got an email yesterday about what was going to happen today and I completely forgot until I looked out my window and seen it coming in for the first fly over.

I noticed during the second flyover it was on its own, the first flyover the it wasnt. I work off of Old Ox Road (rt606). Both sides was packed with people pulling over to watch. I also heard 28 was at a stand still. We got an email yesterday about what was going to happen today and I completely forgot until I looked out my window and seen it coming in for the first fly over.

Ya, The T-38s were pulling altitude to come in to land with little to no fuel.

Ya I heard the freeways were stopped and everyone was standing on the freeway

That's exactly how it was. I can see it when I come into the west gate here at work sitting on the tarmac. The Enterprise (currently inside Udvar-Hazy) is scheduled to fly out Monday, April 23rd to New York. They're going to do the same type of event in NYC that they did yesterday here (fly bys of the Statue of Liberty, etc.). No word on if there will be any major viewing opportunity for Enterprise at takeoff from IAD like there was yesterday at KSC in Florida, but if it takes off where I think it will I will be able to see it.

Thanks for sharing the photos and info guys, that is pretty cool! I didn't know about any of this, guess that's what I get for never watching the news. . . . . .

Back